Chapter 31 - The Rescue Team

July 6th
Year X791
Final day of the Grand Magic Games

"This is what we've all been waiting for folks," The announcer boomed over the roaring crowd and booming fireworks. "It has been an exciting week full of incredible battles and emotional moments we will never forget. But today one guild will be crowned number one in Fiore and the winner of the Grand Magic games! Ladies and gentlemen it has been an honor to have spent this time with you along with my fellow comentator the esteemed Mr. Yajima,"

"My pleasure,"

"We have a very special guest with us today. You all kknow and love him as the mascot and referee of the Grand Magic Games, Mato!" The announcer boomed over the colleseum.

"Heyo," Mato responded cheerfully.

"Alright and now it's time to introduce this year's final six teams,"

Several miles away from the colleseum I was listening intently to the roars of cheers and announcements of the stadium.

"They just started announcing the teams," I said to my teammates. Natsu grinned deviously.

"Perfect," He beamed. Together, Natsu, myself, Wendy, Mirajane, Reiki, Storm, Gale, and  the exceeds took off for the castle in the center of Crocus. The plan was to let one team win the Grand Magic Games while the second team broke Lucy out of prison. The plan was simple, Mirajane would use her transformation magic to disguise herself and pretend to arrest a few of us and take them to the dungeon where Lucy was being held. The rest of us would follow along the roof tops and observe and provide cover from behind.

The exceeds and future team were flying above the rooftops watching as Mirajane walked Natsu and Wendy to the gates. She explained to the other guards that she had caught them sneaking around the gates. The guards pointed her towards the direction of the palace dungeon. The exceeds and my team followed over head. It wasn't long before we came to the dungeons. We quietly crept around the cells, looking for Lucy. Natsu sniffed at the air. "She's over there," He bolted to the last cell in the hallway.

Peering inside, we saw Lucy and Yukino sleeping peacefully on the cots. Natsu's expression softened at the sight of Lucy unharmed. "Psst, Lucy," he whispered. She stirred slightly. "Wake up," This time she opened her eyes all the way and rested her eyes on the rescue team. We all grinned as she smiled.

"You're here!" She exclaimed getting up from her for and rushing to the bars. "Boy am I glad to see you all! Now get me out," Natsu clamped a hand over her mouth before she could finish, silencing the celestial wizard.

"Sshh!" He hissed. Lucy apologized immediately.

"You slept on this thing?" Happy questioned, referring to the got he was now sitting on.

"Hey guys!" Lucy cheered.

"I'm glad to see you're in good spirits," Carla added. Lily let out an exasperated sigh as Kali proceeded to jump up and down on the cot.

"You'd be happy too, if someone came to rescue you from this dump," Kali added.

"But how did you get past the guards?" Yukino finally spoke up. Natsu gripped the bars of the cell tightly.

"My natural charisma," He smirked. His hands grew hot and soon the iron bars were glowing orange from the heat. Eventually the bars broke apart from the heat allowing us to step inside the cell. Mirajane offered Lucy a change of clothes and some food for later. While Lucy was getting changed behind the makeshift curtain, I thought back to an earlier conversation I had with my team.

Several hours ago:

"Nashi," Reiki started. "I glanced up at him from my seat at the table in the hotel room. "May I have a word with you about tomorrow? It has to deal with rescuing Lucy,"