Chapter 30 - Just a Boy and a Girl

I rolled over on the hospital bed, unable to sleep for the last few hours. It had been several hours since the infirmary had cleared out with the exception of Storm and I. It was just the two of us alone in the cold hospital room.

"Storm," I whispered.

"Yeah,"

"Do you think Gale and Reiki are nearby?"

"Without a doubt,"

I couldn't help but grin, Gale and Reiki were probably right outside the door keeping watch. After the attack on Storm, no one was taking any chances when it came to keeping the future team safe.

The silence grew louder and I thought back onto why we were stuck here in the first place. "Why did you do it?" I asked. There was silence. "You took a bullet for me, why?"

"You would have done the same," he finally responded.

"Don't give me that crap. Why did you really do it?"

Storm rolled over and I could barely make out his face in the dark.

"I guess I did it because..." I waited for his answer. "I don't know. I just saw you in danger and acted," I didn't answer. How could I answer? "Don't get me wrong," he continued. "I know that you don't need anyone to protect you 24/7, but everyone needs help every now and then. If I can keep you safe-"

"Alright," I interrupted. "But you have to stay safe too. No more taking bullets for me, got it?"

"You bet," he answered.

- - - - - - - - -

"Nashi wake up, wake up!"

I sat straight up in bed, gasping for air as a cold sweat beaded down my forehead. As my eyes adjusted to the room I saw Storm standing over me, a concerned look in his eyes.

"What happened?" I asked.

"A nightmare?" Storm suggested. I didn't know, I couldn't remember having a nightmare. "You were tossing around a lot in your sleep and murmuring things,"

"That's weird," I said, touching my face I realized that my cheeks were wet with tears. Had I been crying? I don't remember crying.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked again.

"I'm not sure," there was a long pause of silence. Before I had a chance to protest, Storm was lifting my sheets and climbing into the bed with me. He grabbed my head and pulled it into the crook of his neck. It was comforting as he started to play with my hair, but I was nervous by his gesture.

For a while we just laid there. He'd play with my hair and hold me close just so we could be near each other. I admit, it was weird, but it felt good. He smelled like the home time I knew and it reminded me of how much I missed it. I took a deep breath, inhaling his familiar smell as I let the sweet drug of sleep take over me.

- - - - - - - - -

My eyes snapped open at the sound of footsteps down the hallway. I took a sniff at the air and instantly recognized the familiar smell of smoke. Uh oh...

"Natsu, I highly advise you leave them  sleep! They need their rest,"

"Sorry Porlyusica, I need them em bright eyes and bushy tailed asap,"

Without bothering to wake him up, I pushed Storm out of the bed we had been sharing. He hit the stone floor with a thud but the ice wizard remained asleep. Using my foot, I pushed his sleeping form to the side of his bed away from mine. I could hear Natsu's footsteps getting closer. I threw one of the sheets on top of Storm and laid back down in mine to pretend to be asleep.