Chapter twenty two | a lesson never forgotten pt. 2

"Valentine," Luke said, edging his self further into the room. He opened the door quickly with a small smile across his face and closed it with the same gentleness. His signature smirk started to show because he thought he knew what was going to happen next. He thought Valentine was going to kiss him again and make him feel wanted. She always did the latter but sometimes Luke loved the attention.

The boy quickly stopped in his skin when he saw Valentine. She had half dried tears down her cheeks and red, puffy eyes. She was staring at the wall with sadness in her features. Luke quickly rushed over to the girl, careful not to startle her. He sat down on the sheet covered couch and pulled Valentine closer to him. She shook her thoughts away and looked toward the boy with the biggest smile she could find inside her body.

"What's the matter, babygirl?" Valentine internally swooned at the nickname and the big smile vanished. It was replaced with a small sad smile. She knew, that with Luke, she couldn't fake anything.

"It sucks," she said looking back to the wall she was staring at. Luke was utterly confused. She was acting completely different then when she was in the parlor room. "My father is such a terrible human being."

Luke's anger flared up again at the mention of the man but quickly faded when he saw the girl in front of him. If only he could make her forget again. Forget. She had forgotten, so why is she saying these things if she can't remember.

"I thought you lost your memories," he looked at her. She grimaced at the question, bringing her legs to her chest and tucking them under her arms. "Do you remember now?"

"Yes," she immediately answered and looked to the blonde. He wasn't mad like she expected him to be. If anything he looked slightly hurt. Luke wasn't mad, he was extremely hurt. He thought she told him everything and it really broke his heart that she thought she had to keep secrets from him. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Why didn't you say anything?" he asked looking through her grey orbs. She didn't look away. She looked straight back. "When did we start keeping secrets from each other?"

Valentine was puzzled. Her own anger was flaring up, even worse than Luke's.

How can he say that? How can he say that when he knew everything all along and didn't tell me? Is that not a secret?

"What do you mean, Luke? You knew all about my past and you knew me but acted like you didn't. You knew I didn't know you and you still didn't say a thing, so I don't want to hear about "keeping secrets" when you've been doing that since day one."

Luke's eyes faltered and his gaze fell to his hands. He knew Valentine was right, she always was.

"I'm sorry," Luke's blue eyes moved back to look at the girl. "I had a good reason though."

"Yeah?" Valentine questioned the boy who was staring at her. Her anger still there, enough for Luke to sense. "What was that then?"

"I wanted us to start over," Luke said taking Valentine's hand in his own. "And we still can. Starting tomorrow, I don't know you and you don't know me."

"Shut up, Luke," Valentine said with a smile across her face. She moved her hand out of his and took his face in her hands. And she kissed him.