Chapter 18

My stomach fluttered as my hand was engulfed in a comforting warmth. A deep voice whispered softly to me, soothing my weary mind like beautiful music. “Riley.” The voice whispered. “Please wake up my love.” Something touched my forehead, smooth and warm. “I can’t lose you- not again.”

A cold drop landed on my arm and my flesh broke out in goose bumps. I heard someone sniffle next to me. I tried moving my body but only my fingers moved, squeezing slightly.

All sounds disappeared and suddenly something pressed against my cheek; warm and slightly calloused. “Riley? Love?” A groan emanated from my throat as I tried to pry my eyes open- they felt glued shut.

It took another few minutes before I could properly open my eyes, when I did I was greeted by the sight of a white ceiling, making my eyes hurt so I hut them again, my head pounding in time with my heart.

It was like déjà vu from the time I woke up and met Drew, all those months ago. I cracked my eyes open and recoiled back when all light was blocked by a face that smiled down at me; a face I couldn’t have been happier to see.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him down onto me, smothering his face in my chest as I cried. This felt too good to be true until things came rushing back to me.

Blood…

Pain…

I watched horrified, unbelieving as the knife ran over his throat, slicing deep. Crimson blood ran down the front of his shirt as he gurgled- his lungs were filling with his own blood.

Oh god so much blood!

No air…

And Paul!

I tried to push him off me but it didn’t work; I was beginning to feel weaker as I choked for air. I reached out my hand and it touched a cold object, sticky with a liquid. I looked out of the corner of my eyes and almost screamed; it was the knife and my hand was covered in Matt’s blood.

As black dots appeared in my eyes I grabbed the handle and swung it towards Paul in utter desperation. He looked down at me in shock as I dug the blade deeper into the back of his skull. Blood dripped down my arm, covering me with more of the gore, mixing with Matt’s blood.

Lifeless brown eyes…

Matt’s eyes…

I froze and held in a scream, retreating back into myself. Oh god, I killed them; both of them! I felt Drew slide onto the bed next to me, wrapping me in his arms as I cried.

Matt was dead; and it was my fault. I’d killed Paul in cold blood; plunged a knife right into his skull as I looked into his eyes, the same knife he’d killed Matt with, and the same knife they’d tried to slit my throat with.

Slowly I reached up and felt my neck, feeling a jagged scar on the side where the knife had sunk deep.

When would it end? He may be gone but he took one of the people I treasure above almost all else, he left me covered in scars and scared of anything even relating to intimacy. I pushed Drew away and rolled onto my back, tears streaming down my face as I relived the horrors.

“Riley.” Paul sang as the door slowly creaked open like something out of a horror film. “Come out, come out wherever you are; there’s no where you can hide!”

I tried to slow my racing heart, dull my heavy breathing as I hid in the back of my closet. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit into my fist, face coated in tears as I tried to push myself further into the wall.

There’s no way out. There’s no way out. There’s no way out!

I bit back a scream as he grabbed my ankle and hauled me out of the cupboard. I wanted to kick and scream; escape but he’d hurt me more and my body couldn’t take any more!

He dragged me into the living room where four of his friends sat playing cards and threw me beside one. “It wasn’t nice to leave Riley- Dmitri didn’t get a go.” He said in a low scolding voice, sugar coating it to sound almost kind in a berating way.

Dmitri stood and walked over to where I was curled up on the floor and ripped my clothing.

I screamed as he speared my body with his hard arousal.  How could they do this to me?  How much more could my body take?

“Riley! You need to calm down.” I felt hands on my face and I freaked out, screaming, kicking, lashing out at whoever was near me.

“No!” I screamed. “You’re not getting me again!”

“Riley, shhh it’s ok; no one’s going to hurt you, I won’t let them.” I looked into Drew’s eyes as I stopped struggling and I felt my bottom lip wobble.

Would the torment ever end? Would I ever stop hurting?