Chapter 7

My surroundings were a blur as I ran; all I could focus on was my hurt and anger, my sadness and distrust. They had lied, they’d lied to me for almost two decades- my whole life almost.

I weaved through the corridors, past confused werewolves; at least I’d assume so, don’t normal wolves run in packs? Surely werewolves would follow some of the behavioural patterns of their animal components? Half human, half animal.

I saw a large open door to the side, cool night air gently wafting through and ran through it. It was dark outside and with only the light from the moon as my guide I ran through the forest, leaving the towering castle behind me. There was a small path cutting through the trees, though the rest of the forest was dense so I followed that.

I ran until the trees began thinning out, before I could only see the castle in the distance. Mount McKinley grew larger in front of me and tiny white snowflakes began to fall.

I fell to my knees as the energy left my body, my anger and adrenaline fading to be replaced with hurt and panic. Where was I? The snow began falling heavily, coating everything in white; it would have been beautiful had I been inside, drinking hot chocolate, snuggled under a warm blanket. But I wasn’t, I was in the snow, tired, emotionally hurt and cold.

The water from the snow leaked into my leggings, soaking my legs. I shivered but I didn’t feel as cold as I should be- weird, and worrying. The crescent moon shone off the tops of the white trees- it barely enough light to see let alone navigate back to the castle.

I was alone again, in unfamiliar territory with only the clothes on my back and it was snowing heavily. If I was still alive by the morning and managed to get back, I would give the boys and Drew a piece of my mind- regardless of the consequences.

Looking around I felt fear wash over me; anyone could be out here, Paul or one of his friends could be watching me. I shivered the cold seeping into my bones and looked around- my only shelter would be the trees.

I slid under the lower branches of the taller tree, revelling in the slight warmth the pine needles provided. I dared not close my eyes; I would not fall asleep and become even more vulnerable than I already was. I knew that it wasn’t just Paul that could be out here, wolves, bears, men; both werewolf and vampire.

Because I now know the truth; they do exist, I’m not crazy.

I don’t know how long I sat under that tree, it felt like days but I knew that wasn’t true. My eyes drooped heavily and I fought to stay awake. My heart pounded hard in my chest as the crunch of footfalls and the murmur of voices approached.

I took a chance and slowly separated a few pine needles so I could see who or what was coming. A group of around seven men held bright torches. What really scared me though, were the five huge wolves walking with them, noses to the ground and scenting the air, watching, waiting.

I began shaking, letting the needles fall back into place; there was no escape, I didn’t know these men, where they looking for me? I began climbing the tree, my desperation fuelling my escape, my fear sparking energy to flow through me- I didn’t know them, they could be anyone, capable of anything.

I tried to keep the branches still as I ascended and I knew that in my mind I was only trapping myself; the only way out would be down soon. I climbed high until the branches began thinning. The trees were still close together and in a moment of desperation I nimbly jumped from one branch to the other, my weight barely moving the branches as I braced myself.

I closed my eyes, wiling myself not to look down; I’d always been afraid of heights, afraid of falling and now I was very high up. I heard growls, barks and shouts from below- I’d been found, obviously I wasn’t as stealthy as I had hoped.