Chapter 11

It was hard for me to breathe, to move. I was hot and unsure of where I was.  I cracked my eyes open as my heart pounded and looked around confused.

I lay under a tangle of multi-coloured fur; wolves, huge wolves. I tried pushing their limbs off to give me space but instead of moving, the cocoa coloured wolf rolled onto my legs more, snoring sounds emanating from his muzzle. I’m not sure who it was, probably Matt or Jesse since their hair colour matched the coat of the wolf. His paws twitched and his lips pulled back to bare his teeth, slight rumbling sounds coming from his throat- was he dreaming? Probably.

I must have fallen asleep during the movie Drew had put on to keep me occupied.

It took me ages to slowly edge out of bed. I didn’t want to wake up the boys, they’d dealt with a lot of my drama in the last few days, it was time for them to sleep and relax.

I looked down at myself and wrinkled my nose. I was sweaty, my clothes were wrinkled and my hair felt greasy- disgusting.

The door to the bathroom was open, chilly air kissing my skin; a hot bath sounded amazing right about now.

-

I sunk down to my nose in the steaming lavender scented water, bubbles moving around my neck. I looked out the window above the bath, watching the clouds drift slowly through the sky.

I was beginning to appreciate the daylight immensely the more I found out about vampires; I was safe as long as the sun shone. I had witnessed what happened when a vampire went outside during the day; it looked like their skin was being burnt by acid, bubbling and peeling, a bright sunburnt red.

Day meant Paul couldn’t come for me. It was a comforting thought; albeit small it provided peace of mind during the day.

I heard growls and crashes outside and my eyes widened; what was going on out there? I sat up and reached for a towel as the door burst open. I shrieked, ducking to right under my nose as Drew burst into the bathroom.

“Whoa.” His eye widened in shock. Once he registered what he’d seen, his eyes began to darken and his chest began rumbling. Matt and Jesse ran in and I wanted to shout at them but that would require rising out of the tub; they might see my scars and I didn’t want to chance it.

“Go for a run and cool down!” Matt said, pushing him out of the room with Jesse’s help.

After the door slammed I grabbed a towel and dried myself, putting on a robe that was hooked behind the door. I walked out the door to see the two sleeping wolves and the rest of the boys raiding my fridge. I was glad that the staff in the castle topped up my fridge otherwise I would have run out of food a long time ago.

“What just happened?” I asked quietly, watching the two wolves on my bed. Matt, Jesse and James were in the kitchen so the sandy and caramel coloured wolves must have been Cam and Archer.

James snorted and shook his head, taking a swig of orange juice right from the carton. “Drew freaked when he came back to find you gone and woke us up to find you, you should have told us where you were going shorty.”

I huffed and crossed my arms, walking up to him and snatching the carton; they all know how I hate them drinking directly from the bottle, it’s one of my pet peeves, yet they do it anyway.

I took a glass down from the cabinet as he growled lowly and poured him a glass. “Stop growling like a rabid dog.” I snapped as he took the glass.

“Better not let Drew hear you growling like that at her.” I spun around as the door shut and Zander appeared with a small smile. “I need to talk to Riley.”