Chapter 6

“RILEY!” The boys all yelled, jumping up and running towards me.

I found myself cocooned in a giant group hug. I could feel a panic attack coming on so squeezing my eyes tight I took deep, calming breaths.

It’s just the boys. Just the boys.

“Movie tonight?” I asked Matt and Jesse who were lying on either side of me on the spongy green grass beside the river, looking up at the clouds- it was a beautiful day and we were discussing what we were going to do on our twice weekly sleepover.

“Well some of the boys on the team were coming over.” Jesse chuckled, knowing full well that I would be there, probably acting like one of the boys- I was pretty pro at Halo and I could match them in an eating contest but never win- they’re teenage boys, like I’m going to beat them in an eating contest.

You’d think that I’d be fat if you saw the amount that I ate and you’d have a conniption if you had to pay the food bill on one of our sleep overs. But I love running which keeps it off and my metabolism is good to me.

“Fine, but the movies can’t be horror- can we watch The Notebook?” I asked hopefully, getting groans in return.

“We’ve seen it like five hundred times and although you may not be sick of seeing Ryan Gosling, we all are.”

“And every time you cry like a baby but I don’t mention it, do it?” I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Everyone was laughing but Matt, who I’m sure, would have cherry red cheeks.

He rolled over, pinning me to the ground and began tickling me just like dad used to do- they’d picked it up from him I guess. “You’re going to get it now!” He gleefully shouted, drawing the attention of Archer and James who joined in.

“Don’t you even dare!” I screamed as they all descended on me, fingers wriggling over my body, tickling me till tears were running down my face. “Uncle! Uncle!” I screamed, surrendering as they all laughed and fell back onto the grass with me.

“Shortcake?” I pasted a small smile onto my face as they all stepped back, giving me some breathing space. Not only were Jesse and Matt here, but Archer, Cam and James stood around.

Archer has and always will be a huge flirt; they guy could charm the pants off a hippo. Not only was he charming, but Archie had good looks with beautiful sky blue eyes that really suck you in, dirty blonde hair that he styles in the bedhead look, full pink lips, thick lashes, golden skin and a tall, lean frame with muscles from playing soccer. Archer was the guy you’d expect to be the captain of the football team, like in all those cheesy chick flicks.

He was closest to James who, like the other guys was good looking- they were the jocks of our old school. James was about as tall as Matt, around six foot. He’s the prankster, the joker of our group and he’s pulled more than a few pranks. When he got into trouble, and he always did, his brown eyes would widen and water; though the effect was ruined by the spark of mischief always found in his orbs. When he knew he wouldn’t get off easy he would run his hands through his sooty hair and flash the one small dimple on the left side of his brilliant smile.

Cameron or Cam is the most caring one out of the three of them- he never dated, never flirted outrageously like Archie. He had a boyish charm and when he smiled it lit up the whole room- his eyes would have a happy spark in his sky blue eyes. He had slightly crooked teeth and dimples, tousled, messy raven hair and had a relaxed outlook on everything.

He was the glue to our group- Matt and Jesse may be brothers but they were complete opposites in personality. He stopped James and Archie from getting too rowdy and was always there for me when I had girly problems since girls at our school hadn’t like me for me- they liked me for the boys.