Chapter 9

I groaned groggily, blinking as bright light assaulted my eyes. I blinked repeatedly until my eyes became adjusted to the morning light.  It was déjà vu as I looked around the room; I was back in the infirmary.  Dust was dancing in the morning light and a heart monitor was beeping steadily beside me. The room was empty, though cups of coffee sat on a table not far away; one of the boys, if not all had been here.

I pulled the top of my gown down and peeled off the heart monitors. I had an oxygen tube in my nose and carefully took that out as well; I felt fine now, the panic attack had long since passed.

Thankfully there was no IV so I stood and slipped on my clothes that were folded in a neat pile next to the bed. Opening the door I looked down the hallway; coast was clear.

-

I walked around the castle, smiling timidly at people who passed, sidestepping the kids who ran through the halls. They were all little balls of energy from what I’d witnessed, running around, screaming, generally being happy kids, and playing with their friends.

I loved seeing the children running around, so happy. I had the best childhood; loving families, amazing friends, so much freedom and fun.

I followed them out a side door to an orchid of sorts, apples mostly grew with pears and oranges, though the trees were bare of their fruit, instead of lush greens leaves an assortment of browns, reds, yellows and oranges decorated the canopy.

Shouts of happiness filled the air and I smiled as kids of all ages ran around the trees, climbing and swinging from the lower branches. A toddler ran after the older kids, gurgling with joy, a happy smile spread across her face. I walked towards her as she tripped on a branch, landing on her butt. Instead of bursting into tears, she began giggling, tossing handfuls of watery grass, from the snow melt, at the passing children.

“Hello.” I said soothingly as I sat in front of the girl, giving her a bright smile.

“Hewo!”

“Who are you?” I turned to smile at a boy, about seven who stood feet spread apart, hands on his hips, trying to give me a stern look.

“Riley, who are you?” I asked, intimidating his stern tone, trying not to smile.

He puffed out his chest proudly. “Nathan Langley.”

“Well Nathan Langley.” I said, looking him the eyes. “May I join you in your game?” I asked.

He grinned as all the kids gathered around. “We’re playing tag; you can be ‘it’!” Everyone bolted, weaving through the trees. I grinned and stood; cheeky little bugger probably thought I was slow. I quickly stood looking down at the toddler. “Let’s go get them.”

I picked her up, giving her a piggy back ride as I raced around the orchard, gently tagging screaming kids. Once everyone had been tagged, I lay on my back, gazing up at the sky surrounded by children. I hadn’t had so much fun in ages, if only the trees were in season we could play my favourite game.

I sat up, careful of the kids all resting their head on my midsection and legs. I looked around the bottom of the trees and cried out in excitement as I saw a huge pile of cold, mushy apples near one of the trees; perfect.

I looked up at the older kids, sitting on the lower branches of the trees chattering excitedly to each other. “Have you got any cricket bats?” I asked.

The nodded and ran off to the castle, searching for what I had been looking for.  Moments later they came back holding two bright yellow plastic bats.

“I have a game we can all play!” I announced, looking over the hundred or so children all gathered together. “It’s call Apple Schmere.”

“What,” Nathan asked, handing me a bat. “Is that?”