Number Twenty-Eight

"Sometimes, the person who tries to keep everyone happy is always the loneliest person. Never leave them alone because they will never say that they need you."

Number Twenty-Eight

The doctor had sedated her. Because Gneiss finally left her side, she knew that he thought she's sound asleep. She should be if she did not put her Gift to work. Nullifying the effects of the drugs was tedious to her health, but she was determined enough to keep herself awake.

A lot of things had happened lately. No, that would be putting it mildly. The world as she knew it crumbled before her very eyes, and she lost them too in the process. The darkness that would forever be her companion scared her. More than she'd ever admit. It was like being a child again, huddled in one corner, hugging yourself to sleep amidst a thunderstorm, alone in the middle of the night. Except this time, she had no morning to look forward to.

It made her feel more helpless than ever – but what could a blind girl do? She's an invalid! How would she be able to defend herself, not only her body but also her heart? How could she pretend that everything would be fine when it obviously wasn't? Everything she loved, everything she cared for, everything she hoped and believed in, all were snatched away, leaving her with nothing but empty delusions. Where was the justice in her suffering?

In the past, she was able to stand and fight for the future with Gneiss in mind. With him unable to remember her, what good were all her sacrifices for? There was no way to make him fall in love with her again; she wasn't even sure why he fell for her in the first place. But she was able to tolerate that. There was a chance of him retrieving his memories, maybe not in a month or a year, but he would someday. And even if cruel fate refused to give her that happy ending together with him, at least she would be at peace to know that he would live, and that she could watch over him like he watched over her.

She endured the crimes, the killing, for him because he was the only one she had. She had fallen at the bottom of the pit. She was ripped off from the life she had. She was torn away from the man she loved, and she was tainted beyond salvation. She had no more dreams to fulfill. She had no future to look forward too. Everything was irrevocably lost. Why was her past – her constant source of joy – to be shaken up too?

Her parents were the best parents in the whole world. They weren't perfect, but they supported her and loved her in a way that made her feel Kreuz wasn't worthy of licking their heels. They were the ones who taught her the beauty and wisdom of life. Kreuz didn't. He showed her the ugliness of the world. He taught her to hate, to cheat – he was corruption personified. Far from him, her parents were her personal sun.

Kreuz is just... he's just...

Ah, dammit! Why, why did all come down to this? This is bullshit! This didn't made sense! Everything seemed so pointless. Her whole life, she had been living in a lie! She wasn't who she thought she was. She's no longer sure who she was. She's nothing but a big fat lie.