Number Twenty-Two

"If you don't know who you truly are, you'll never know what you really want

"If you don't know who you truly are, you'll never know what you really want."

Number Twenty-Two

Her laughter echoed loudly, mocking and unreasonable, the only sound amidst the grim-faced Bases watching from behind the one-sided glass. Strapped on the chair was a woman with the exact face as 00, only she's the darker version, the devil incarnate. Her lips were twisted in cruel grin as blood slowly dripped from them, her eyes half-closed as if she was savoring the electric shocks being sent through her body. She was enjoying it, relishing the pain that only few could withstand. It was insane.

She was inside the questioning room, monitored not only by video cameras but also by other agents from the adjacent room. No matter what they did, torturing their prisoner only seemed to please her. She wouldn't talk. She would only laugh and giggle and smile, and at times, she would taunt them with her skin. The Bases never thought it was possible to have 00 and 'dirty' in the same sentence. They knew this wasn't their Equation-in-charge, but still... it was disorienting to have that angelic face of hers with that wicked attitude. It was enough to bring nightmares to some of them.

The only door to the room open, and Krad strode purposely inside. The Bases turned off the flow of electricity. They waited for what would happen.

"I missed you, my pet," the pale girl cooed. "It's been so long since you last visited."

Krad stared at her for a minute before he backhanded her. She licked the blood on her lips.

"More, my pet. Hurt me more. I've been waiting for you."

"Where's 00?" he asked with a leveled glare.

For the thousandth time, she laughed. She hissed like a snake. "Probably in heaven. She's an a-n-g-el, after all!"

Krad studied her, and he was disappointed to confirm what he already knew – this woman was immune to pain. Perhaps it was inevitable, but this meant that they would need to call a Gifted from the headquarters or send her there. He had to decide as soon as possible.

"What? You're leaving already? How about my goodbye kiss?" but Krad ignored her jibes. The next room was eerily quiet as soon as he entered.

"Drug her until a telepath comes."

One stepped forward and nodded. "Don't you think we should give it one more try? Maybe with a higher voltage?"

Krad shook his head in frustration. "No. It might kill her. The pain receptors in her body are damaged; she's not aware that her organs are failing. Maybe she is, and she's planning to make us kill her that way. She's smart. Don't underestimate your enemies."

"And don't overestimate them either."

"It's a fine line to walk."

Krissy squirmed in her seat, trying to pull herself away from the tubes attached to her. "Hey! You guys over there! I know I'm being watched here, and you know what? I'm tired of this sham. It's so fuckin small here and you don't feed me right! Is this how you're supposed to treat your informant?"