Chapter Sixteen

When Adam woke he felt terrible.  His eyes felt like they had been glued and then forced open, with pliers.  His head pounded like he had been hit with a brick.  He lay on his pillows and looked at the ceiling, blinking slowly every few seconds.  He sighed and considered his options.  He could never open his curtains again and avoid all contact with the family next door.  The thought made his gut cramp.  He didn’t think he would be able to ignore her. 

He rolled onto his side and pulled the blankets up over his head.  He could be courteous but not engage in any further conversation.  He didn’t like that idea either.  He wanted to know her better.  He wanted her to know him.  Adam weighed up his ideas and came to the conclusion that he never wanted her brother anywhere near her, and the best way to protect her from him was to never leave her side and be her friend.  He would go to her on Sunday.  He had to go to the gym later in the day and he had promised Blake they would hang out while Georgia went with her mother to visit her ill aunt.

Adam pushed the covers back and sat up.  He didn’t really want to get up.  He wanted to hide in his room and ignore everyone.

 “Breakfast!”  His mother called from the hallway.

 “Okay.” He called back, his voice came out croaky and he had to clear his throat several times.  “Be down soon!”  He yelled with a stronger voice.

He swung his legs over the side of his bed and got to his feet.  He stretched and turned to his window and as he reached for his curtain he stopped.  “No.”  He said to himself and turned to pick up his jeans from the floor.  He didn’t want to face her room just yet.  He would think on his choices a bit more before opening his curtains.  If he did, he feared her would go over and attack the freakish monster.  He pulled his pants on and picked up his tee-shirt.  Carrying it he headed down to the kitchen for breakfast.  As he entered he wasn’t surprised to find Oliver already sitting at the island, his breakfast half gone.  Their youngest brother was sitting at the end, also nearly finished.

 “Morning.”  He said as he sat now next to Oliver and dumped his tee-shirt on the other stool next to him.

 “Good morning darling.”  Millie said and put a plate of pancakes in front of him.

 “Yum.  Thank you.”  He said and dug his knife and fork into the and then filled his mouth.

Millie smiled at her boys and continued to pour more batter in the frying pan.

 “What are you doing today?”  Oliver asked past his food.  “Stupid stuff I suppose.”

Adam scoffed at his brother.  “Probably.”  He replied.

 “I’m going to the skate park.”  Jerome said from his seat.

 “Who cares?”  Oliver muttered sarcastically and Jerome’s face dropped, tears brimmed his eyes.

 “Cool Jer.  Me and Blake aren’t doing much later on, can we come too?”  Adam asked, flicking an annoyed look at their oldest brother.

Jerome’s face lit up.  “That’d be great.”  He said with his mouth full of pancakes.

 “Don’t talk with your mouth full.”  Oliver snapped past his own mouth ful of breakfast.

Adam glared at Oliver.  “Shut up.”

Millie spun on her sons.  “Enough you lot.  Stop being so nasty Oliver.”

Oliver glared at their mother and dropped his fork noisily onto his plate.  “I’m going out.”  He said and got to his feet.

 “Finish your breakfast.”  Millie said quietly.

Adam watched as Oliver ignored their mother and stalked to the back door and slammed it shut behind him.