Chapter Fourteen

On a roll tonight guys :)

Two Chapters for you.  Please comment or vote, which ever you wish.  I'd love some feedback.

*********************************************************************************************************

Adam lay in his bed.  It wasn’t completely dark, so he knew morning wasn’t far away.  He wondered absently at the time.  His head felt clear for the first time in ages.  He felt like he had lost too many days.  It must have been some pretty strong drugs they had been giving him to make him forget days and days.  He lifted his head from the pillow and listened.  The house was quiet.  No one would be up at this time.  He considered calling out, but thought he’d probably done that a lot in the last few weeks.  He dropped his head back onto the pillow.  His arm was still strapped to his body and felt almost numb. 

He rolled onto his right side and slipped his legs over the side.  He pushed himself up with his good arm and took a deep breath.  His ribs felt better and it was nice to draw a full breath.  They ached slightly, but nothing like when he’d first got home.  How many weeks had they said, a few?  He wondered briefly if it was still September, or if he’d missed another month.

He looked down at his feet and saw they were poking out the bottom of his pyjama pants and bare.  The early morning chill made his toes tingle.  He looked around to see if his slippers were close. 

They were by his bathroom door. 

Adam flexed his feet, shuffled forward and prepared himself to stand up unassisted.  He paused as his head spun slightly.  He steadied himself with his good arm and got to his feet.  He swayed but stayed upright.

 “Need to pee.”  He muttered, trying to encourage himself forward and took a tentative step toward the bathroom and his slippers.  He took another step and made it to the door; he grabbed it with his right hand and steadied himself as he put on his slippers.  His feet warmed slightly with his slippers on.

 “Phew.”  He breathed and went into the bathroom and flicked the light on.  It blinded him temporarily and he blinked several time to clear his vision.  He went to the toilet and bent slowly, aware of his sore ribs and shoulder and lifted the toilet lid.  As he started to relieve himself, he wondered who helped him do this while he was drugged.  Suppressing a shiver he scoffed.  “Who cares.”  He said to himself and finished off with a quick shake and pushed the button to flush.  He flicked the toilet lid back down and turned back to his bed.

 “Holy shit.”  He said out loud as he caught sight of himself in the mirror.  “I look like crap.”  He shuffled closer and studied his face.  He had black rings under his eyes and he had a month of teenage beard growing on his face.  His cheeks were sunken and his hair was far too long.  He turned on the hot tap to wash his hand and with the excess water ran his good hand through his hair.  He scratched at his scalp and brushed his hair back. 

 “I look like serious crap.”  He grinned at himself to check his teeth and saw they were relatively clean.  He must have been with it enough at some point for his mother to clean his teeth.  He picked up his toothbrush and considered how to get toothpaste on it.  Wiggling the fingers on his left hand he realised there was no pain and held the toothbrush with his left hand and applied toothpaste.  He dipped the toothbrush under the hot tap and stuck it in his mouth.  He quickly turned off the tap and started to vigorously scrub his teeth.

Turning on the cold tap, Adam leaned against the vanity and rinsed his toothbrush then sucked all the water off it to clear the paste from his mouth and spat into the sink.  He grinned at himself again.  Nothing had really changed, but he felt better.  His face still looked like he’d been dead for a while.