Chapter Eleven

***************************** a/n ****************************

Swearing in this chapter

**************************************************************

March 1984   

Adam sat looking blankly at his plate.  His eye and lip had nearly healed, leaving only a slight yellowing. 

 “Son.”  George spoke.

Adam didn’t hear him, and continued to stare at his plate.

 “Adam.”  George spoke again.  “Adam! Adam!”

Olly slapped his hand on the table in front of his brother.

Adam looked up slowly at  Oliver.  “What?”

 “Are you going to ignore me completely?  Or are you going to eat your dinner?”

 “Sorry Dad, I didn’t realise I’d drifted off.”

 “Obviously.”  Oliver muttered.

 “Olly.”  Millie scolded gently, not really meaning it, but felt compelled to say it.

Oliver shrugged and put more food in his mouth.

Adam dropped back to staring at his plate.  His knife and fork where his mother had placed it when setting the table earlier on.

George looked at his wife and they shared a silent look understanding their middle sons’ dilemma.

Jerome ate, oblivious to whole conversation.

Later late evening, Adam stood at the end of his bed looking at the messy covers.  It had been 9 days since Cathi had gone.  He wanted to see her so he could shake her.  He desperately wanted to know why the hell she had left so suddenly without talking to him. 

He felt so empty and lost.  His heart felt heavy and he found it difficult to breath. 

His palms started to sweat and his heart began to race as he considered the last time he and Cathi were in his bed together.  His eyes scanned the messy covers looking for evidence of her in the bed.  He found none however.  As he suspected.  He knew deep within himself that he would find nothing of hers in his room.  She had taken all of her belongings.  The more he thought about it, the more obvious it become.  She had taken her things each day without him noticing.  Her clothing was taken.  Her toothbrush, hairbrush and her bag of feminine products.  He never noticed her taking them, or the items being gone until now. 

Adam could feel his blood beginning to slowly boil again.  She made him so angry.  She left and couldn’t even have the decency to say anything to his face.  She was a bitch, a heartless bitch.  He kicked out at his bed, hitting the edge of with his bare foot. 

 “Oh, fuck!”  He yelped and fell down to cradle it.  “Ow, ow, ow.”  He rubbed at his hurting toe.

His anger at Cathi was elevated to a new level.  He wished he could kick her for leaving him without explanation.  He lifted his hand from his injured toe and saw blood.

 “Oh, fuck.”  He said again.

On closer inspection, he saw he had split his middle toe.  “This is all your fault.”  He whispered to himself and let his tears fall.

Adam woke.  He was cold.  He groped around in the dark for his blanket and his fingers found carpet.  He opened his eyes and in the early morning gloom, he found himself looking under his bed.  He pushed himself up and climbed onto his bed.  He crawled to the top and pulled his blankets over him.  He was aware of his toe aching, although it was only dull.  He knew it would be worse tomorrow.  The ache reminded him why he’d fallen asleep on the floor.