Chapter Eighteen

For the rest of the week Adam collected Angellica from school. 

On the first day, Tuesday, she told him about her brother Cole who was coming home on the next Saturday.  She told him about how Cole was her rock and kept her sane.  He was the only one in her family she felt she could truly trust and she missed him so much. 

Adam was looking forward to meeting him, to see what sort of brother he really was and to show him that he’d been caring for his little sister.  He was worried that Angellica would forget about him and go back to Cole and it took a whole sleepless night to make him realise that Cole was her brother, not her boyfriend.  He’d laughed at himself once it clicked in his brain and he’d finally been able to sleep on that Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, their third day together she told him about her horses.  Cash and Snap were her escape mechanisms when she needed out.  No one but Cole went near her horses and they were the only things she had to herself.  Adam had watched her from a distance with her horses.  The way she moved with them, the way they behaved when she went to the paddock, and the way she spoke about them.  She was devoted to her horses.  He spent most of Wednesday night over thinking the way she adored her horses compared to the way she behaved with him.  She was reserved and careful around him, yet she was free and open with her horses.  It was early dawn when he came to realise that for her to be like that with him, he would have to earn her trust, the same way her animals did.  He’d slept little on Wednesday.

On Thursday she told him about her old house and the masses of land they had.  Cole was overseeing the sale of the property and she missed it dearly.  She told him about the time she spent out on the land and in the forests that surrounded their old property.  Adam spent Thursday night sleepless thinking about how her new house and tiny two paddocks she rode in now and thought that she would never be happy with it.  Adam finally fell asleep at 4am stuck at a dead end, not knowing how he could give her more space to roam away from her family.  He would try his hardest to make her happy; it was all he could do.

By Friday, their fifth day together, Adam felt at ease waiting for her at the gate at the school.  He rested against the main sign with his hands in his pockets as kids only a few years younger than him strolled past, on their way home, or with their friends.  He waited patiently for Angellica to appear from the main building where her locker was.  He always saw her before she saw him.  He knew because her face changed when she spotted him.  She came alive, her head lifted, her shoulders dropped, and her mouth spread into a smile.  He was early today.  She had P.E. last thing and would have to get changed.  He watched teachers talking with students.  Students laughed as they left for the last day of the week.  Teachers looked relieved as the students left for the last day of the week.  He was so caught up in watching everyone inside the gate he didn’t notice a man stop next to him.

 “I don’t know what you’re up to, but I don’t like it.” 

Adam spun to the voice in surprise and recognised Eliot instantly.  He feigned ignorance.  “I don’t understand.”

 “Yes you do, I’m not stupid.  Be careful Adam, you’re not the only one who watches her.”

Adam leaned back from Eliot, and frowned.  “At least I don’t hurt her.”  He said.  He’d figured that much out from the way Angellica behaved when Eliot was near.

 “You will though, and then I’ll be the one who saves the day.  Make sure you mess up soon though eh.  I miss her.”

Adam blinked at Eliot, his mouth hung open, he could feel it.  Miss her?  How can he miss her? “What?”

 “Just hurry it up, do what you have to do with her, and then fuck off.  I want her back.” Eliot stuffed his hands in his jacket pocket.  “I mean it, hurry up and then fuck off.”  He whispered menacingly and turned away.