Chapter Two

Adam paced the living room floor.  His older brother Oliver sat on the couch watching him.  Adam paced from one end of the couch to the other, he stopped sometimes to look out the front window and then resumed pacing. 

Oliver stayed watching, amused by his brothers’ obvious distress.  “What is the matter Adam?” 

Adam continued to pace, back and forth through the living room.

 “Adam.”  Oliver said again.

He didn’t hear Oliver until he shouted. “Adam!”

Adam stopped.  “What?” 

 “What is the matter with you?”

 “Nothing.”  He replied and resumed his pacing.

 “Why are you walking around like that?”

 “Because I want to.”  Adam snapped.

Oliver laughed.  “There is obviously something wrong.  What is going on?”

Adam stopped and glared at his brother.  “It’s been three days.”

 “Since what?”  Oliver was now intrigued.

 “Since I saw her last.”  Adam replied as if his brother should know exactly what he was talking about.

 Oliver grinned.  “Saw who?”  He sat forward on the couch.  “Have you got yourself a girlfriend?”

Adam frowned.  “No, she’s just a friend.”

Oliver laughed loudly.  “Yeah right, I can tell, you’re never this worried if you don’t see Blake for a week.”

 “What the hell has Blake got to do with this?”

 “He’s your friend.”

 “Blake’s also a guy.  He doesn’t count.”  Adam shook his head.  “Shut up Olly.”

 “Have you tried ringing her?”

Adam glared at his brother.  “I don’t have her number.  I don’t know where she lives either.  So shut up.”

 “How’d you meet her then?”

 “At the sandwich shop.”

Oliver’s eyes lit up.  “Oh, Cathi.”  He said knowingly.

 “You know her?”  Adam jumped over the couch to face his brother. “How do you know her?”

 “The sandwich shop.  She’s cute.”  Oliver said.

 “She’s mine.”  Adam snapped.  Shocked at his own reaction.

Oliver sat back.  “Christ Adam, I was just saying.  I’m not going to steal her off you.”

Adam flopped down on the couch.  “I know that, you’ve got Cynthia, but, she’s not been at work for three days.  No one will tell me where to find her.”

 “She’s probably gone on a holiday or something.”  Oliver said.

Adam had to agree that this could be logical.  But why wouldn’t she have said the other day.  “I don’t think so.  She didn’t say anything.”

Oliver scratched his newly growing beard thoughtfully.  “Maybe she’s been sick.”

 “Oh no, you really think?  What if she’s not well.”  Adam blurted out, shocking himself with his reaction again.  He shouldn’t be acting this way about a girl he’d just met.  He shouldn’t be terrified for her.