Mycroft

I know, I know, you guys must hate me. But I'm still writing, trust me. Oh and here's some proof....Love you guys!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Waking up the next morning was a lot less uncomfortable than I thought it would have been. Although no one straight out mentioned the incident last night I wished they had for what they were doing instead was a lot worse. Tiptoeing. They were cautiously moving around me like I was going to snap at any moment. Little did they know that it was the exact behaviour that they were showing then that was really making me want to act out.

“I’m going for a walk,” I stated shortly. I couldn’t take any more of this insanity. Even Sherlock was treating me like a kicked puppy. Couldn’t he at least see through my body language how annoyed it was making me. “Maybe you shouldn-“ Molly was about to protest but Sherlock held up his hand from his place on the couch. “Let her go Molly,” he demanded curtly as he stared straight at me. Stubbornly avoiding his gaze I grabbed the cane that had ironically been given to me by the doctors. No longer was John the psychological cripple, it seemed I was the new one. Although I had started to be able to walk longer and longer without it, I was apparently healing slowly as the doctors said,  for the walk I was about to take I knew I needed it. Walking down the stairs still slowly but at least faster than before, I quickly opened the door to 221C and let Max out, his lead already in his mouth surprisingly. God I swear he is psychic. “R-ready for a walk m-mate?” I questioned affectionately as I clipped the lead into place. It felt so good to have the fresh air in my lungs and the warm sun on my face. A massive smile broke out on my face and it seemed as if my troubles seemed to melt away. Taking one last glance at the window of 221B, I smirked inwardly as I saw a tall silhouette move quickly behind the curtain. Nice try Sherlock.

Walking outside, albeit slowly, made me feel like I wasn’t some broken doll anymore, I could do things on my own. I was getting a bit tired but it didn’t matter, now the world was at my fingertips. I’m not some child Sherlock, is what I screamed in my head, but hey at least I thought it. Noticing a small cafe on the other side of the street I decided to reward myself with a small rest and some hot chocolate. As I watched the world go on around me I was brought back to that first day of living in 221B and seeing Sherlock and John run by. It seemed like an eternity ago, so many things had happened since then. I’d like to say that I wish I could go home and see my father again, but right now I feel like this is what I am living for. In my old world I would never have been able to do all these things that I love. Plus Molly had mentioned my Dad living back in Australia so I could probably go and see him over my break in a couple of months. So lost in my thoughts was I that I hadn’t noticed the looming presence of a very tall man next to my table until he finally spoke. “May I sit please?” The voice startled me as I had heard it many times, just never in this world. Looking up with surprise I was met with the sight of none other than the other Holmes brother. “Mycroft,” I stated as my only greeting before returning back to drinking my hot chocolate. I knew how to handle this man, I knew exactly what he wanted and to be honest there was no way I was going to give it to him. “Ah you don’t disappoint young Ava, already knowing who I am,” he responded smugly as he took a seat in the chair opposite. Glancing at him fleetingly I shrugged before returning my attention to the streets. It seemed that he was doing the same thing as there was silence for quite some time.

A waitress came and went with a piece of cake and some coffee for Mycroft and I raised my eyebrows at the sight, “Shouldn’t you be watching your figure,” I said in my best Sherlock impression. Turning to me with amusement in his eyes he laughed slightly before replying, “Yes brother I guess I should.” “You know t-that’s stupid right? If you die t-tomorrow having eaten spinach instead of this c-cake you would have died with r-regret in your heart would you have not?” I looked him straight in the eye with a smile. It had always annoyed me how obsessed Mycroft was with his weight. “Plus I t-think you look f-f-ine, who are you t-trying to impress?” It was a rhetorical question but I knew there would be some kind of answer. “If only the world had the same viewpoint as you my dear,” Mycroft replied with a friendly smile, one of the first ones I had ever seen from him. Turning my attention back to the people outside I waited for the conversation that I knew was coming. “Look, I knew you know why I’m here, I also know that a smart girl like you probably won’t do what I ask so I come here only with one request. If anything should happen to Sherlock, yourself, John or Molly or even dear Max here, that you message this number, or even call,” he stated with something that looked very close to pleading in his eyes. He was now stroking Max which seemed to calm him slightly. Taking the piece of paper he had given me I immediately entered it into my phone, just to give the man opposite me a greater reason to be calm.

Turning fully to him now, with my full attention in his direction I raised my eyebrows, “Ya w-wanna come over?” I questioned with a smile. Instantly he faltered, I knew the weird emotional barriers that there were between Sherlock and his brother and I kind of wanted to fix them. “C-come on, I’m buying take out on my way back, plus you could probably help me walk a lot faster, there’s always room for more.” Watching him with a smile I saw the uncertainty pass on his face before a slight look of hope and then finally a sign of giving in, “Okay, but I insist of paying for dinner.” Shrugging my shoulders in response I very slowly got up and grabbed my cane. Mycroft immediately reached for Max’s leash and I smiled as he pet Max again. “A bit of a dog lover huh?” I chuckled casually as Mycroft rolled his eyes, “Not until I met this one.”

I can quite safely say that Mycroft’s welcome into the house was much as I had thought it would be. Sherlock was angry at him and slightly annoyed at me, John held a sense of duty to be a kind host but also showed his casual annoyance at Mycroft being there and Molly was just confused. As I started to place the meals onto plates for everyone I could overhear the conversation going on in the living room. “Don’t worry dear brother, she is just as loyal as your other lackeys,” Mycroft stated smugly, casually defending me. “Oh there was no doubt in my mind that she would say no. One of the good things about Ava is her unwavering loyalty,” Sherlock replied as I felt myself start to smile. “Yes, well when I heard that she had gotten shot for you and your eccentric group of friends I knew that I had to meet her. You really have damaged her, brother. On a cane, really?” Mycroft sounded slightly angry and I realised that he was worried, either for me or at least for how much pain I was in. “Let me get one thing straight brother, Ava is one person you do not meddle with. You and I both know that I did not ask her to get shot for me although I must say thank you for the excellent upgrade in the hospital,” Sherlock’s voice sounded grateful, albeit grudgingly so. “It was nothing, but may I ask, do I mistake your tone to be affectionate for this girl?” I could hear the smirk in Mycroft’s voice and almost started laughing. I could relate to how much fun it was to annoy Sherlock. “I could ask you the same thing,” was Sherlock’s reply back, this peaked my interest and I borderline had to force myself to keep on preparing dinner. “She is a lovely girl, incredibly intelligent, much like yourself brother. But there is also something else about her, something different and I can’t quite put my finger on it,” so that was what Mycroft thought of me. I had no idea what he was going on about and I guess Sherlock’s response was in a gesture for no more noise was heard. With this I decided that I had invaded their privacy enough and I called for everyone to come and eat. Somehow I had managed to make a good first impression on the older Holmes brother, something I had heard was near impossible and to be honest, I was quite proud of myself.