Chapter Fourteen

I followed the paramedics pushing Alex into the emergancy room. He no longer had tears. He was wimpering in pain. His entire face looked flushed yet red. He was sick and hurt. I could see it. His cheeks were stained in tears. His eyes were blood shot. They had an IV in his arm to keep him hydrated from being sick.

"I'm scared." He whispered.

"I know." I said holding his hand. Alex and I waited in a room for 15 minutes before someone came in.

"Hi." The male doctor said flipping through a board.

"Hello." I said squezzing Alex's hand letting him know someone was here. He was almost asleep.

"Mr. Barakat, would you mind explaining what you know?" The doctor asked. He had a pen and a clip board.

"I took him home beacuse he was sick around 3 and at 11 he called me screaming. His room was completely destroyed and his mom was freaking out. His upper body looks awful." I said, "And, we're both terrified." The doctor nodded.

"They took care of her boys. There is no reason to be scared anymore." The doctor said. Alex shrieked with pain.

"Can he have any medication?" I asked.

"Yes, we need some x-rays of his head, ribs, arms, and lower back." The doctor said. Alex whined.

"Shh, it doesn't hurt. I promise." I said kissing his hand.

"We don't want him moving so we need to have an x-ray machine brought in. I need you to take off the bracelet around his wrist." I looked down at the shiny piece of metal with my name printed. I reached over and pulled it off. I put it in my pocket. The doctor left.

"I feel disgusting." Alex whispered.

"You're okay." I rubbed his head.

"It hurts." He said with a scratchy voice. The doctor brought in a machine and a nurse followed.

"Mr. Barakat, I need you with me." She said standing at the door. I let go of Alex's hand and followed her out the door.

"What?" I said as I stepped out the door.

"We really want you to go home, Alexander is going to be here for a while. I know you are tired." She said to me.

"I'm not leaving him." I said rubbing my eyes. "Plus, my fucking car is at his house."

"Sweetie, we can call your parents or I can have someone take you home." She stated.

"My fucking parents don't know I'm here." I whined. "I'm staying."

"Okay." She said. "I need you to wait here while he gets his x-rays. Then you can go stay with him." She walked away. I looked down at my phone. 12:40 The door opened next to me.

"You can go back in." The doctor said pulling the machine out the door. Alex was sitting up and swallowing pills.

"I feel so awful." He said flopping his arms to his sides. I handed him his bracelet.

"Its okay." I kissed his forehead. "Do they want you over night?"

"If I have broken ribs, yes." He yawned.

"Do they feel that awful?" I asked him.

"Yes." He rubbed his side.

"Can I kiss you?" I rubbed his head.

"I'm sick." He sniffled. I grabbed his face and kissed him.

"Why did your mom do this?" I said in between kisses.

"The usual. Tom. Then I told her I was going to your house again and she flipped out." He kissed me again, "She doesn't like you."

"I know." I quit kissing him. I played with his hair trying to make it less crazy.

"You're gonna get sick." Alex laughed. He was laying down and holding onto his chest.

"Then we can be sick together." I smiled.

----

About an hour later I was waking Alex up and looking at his x-rays. His rib wasn't broken. It was strained.

"Can I go home?" He asked the doctor.

"Yes, you need to stay in bed." The doctor told us.

"Is my mom in jail?" He asked again.

"I'm sorry, Alexander. She is. We want you to go with some other family." The doctor told him.

"I'm from England, no one else is here, its me and her." Alex rubbed his eyes, "Can I stay with Jack?"

"Yes, we are going to have an ambulance take you home." The doctor said.

----

Alex and I were sitting in the ambulance on the way to his house to get my car. They dropped us off. We got into my car. We were silent until Alex talked.

"Hey, baby." He said softly. I mumbled letting him know I heard him. "I'm gonna have to live with my dad, if my mom stays in jail."

"In Essex?" I asked him.

"Yes, therefore, we won't see each other." He sighed.

"Lexy, you can stay with me." I said pulling into my house.

"I wish." He said grabbing my hand keeping me in the car. "I don't wanna go inside. Your dad hates it." I kissed him.

"We can't stay out here. Its cold." I played with his hair.

"What do I do then?" He asked me.

"We'll sleep in my room." I said opening my door and steping down onto wet gravel. I ran to my porch as Alex followed me. I unlocked my house and tried to go in silently. Alex and I ran upstairs. He walked into my room slowly and looked in my wall mirror. I closed my door and laid on my bed. "Come here." I said moving back so there was an open area. Alex was crying before he laid beside me. "I'm so sorry." He choked on a sob. "Can we talk about this?" Alex cried more into my chest.

"I don't wanna talk." He cried.

"Okay, don't talk, just listen." I rubbed his head. "Alex, you're my world. Nothing would ever make me stop loving you. I know we haven't been together very long. But I am in love with you. No matter what happens you can always come to me. I'll listen and help you through it." I kissed his forehead. He looked up revealing his beat red face, blood shot eyes, and tears down his face. He coughed and laid on my chest.

"I feel so sick." He moaned.

"You are." I kissed his head, "Please sleep." He didn't say anything. I turned off my lamp and fell asleep holding onto his body keeping him warm.