Chapter XV: So That's What Happened, Part I

Chapter XV

So That's What Happened

"Okay Williams!" shouted Miklos. "Your hostages are safe. Now step out so I can see both of you, with your hands on your heads."

Roddy lifted his arms, and placed his hands on his head. Then he took one step backward, down into the hole Klaus had dug, through the trap door Zolfina had opened, and into the tunnel below.

Zolfina had already opened the toolbox, and handed him a flashlight.

"What do we do now?" she asked.

"Now, we run!" Roddy told her.

Roddy led Zolfina as they ran through the underground tunnel. After about fifty yards the tunnel took a sharp turn, and Roddy brought them to a halt. He searched the rock walls with his flashlight until he found what he was looking for – a series of three switches and a dial, mounted high on the wall.

"You may want to cover your ears for this part," he suggested. Roddy then set the three switches in the 'down' position and spun the dial. A tremendous explosion rocked the ground beneath their feet as tons of stone and earth fell, closing off the tunnel behind them.

"You had that already prepared?" Zolfina asked as she rubbed her ears, trying to end the ringing.

"Yes," Roddy replied. "It was something of a hobby of mine at one time." He checked the tunnel behind them, ensuring it was completely buried. "I don't think anyone will be following us now."

"What is this place?" Zolfina wondered.

"It's a series of tunnels and caverns under the mountain, created long ago by seismic activity," Roddy explained. "This one twists and turns, but eventually leads all the way back to the laboratory."

"All the way back to 1944," suggested Zolfina apprehensively.

Roddy moved down the tunnel, searching the ground with his flashlight. "Here it is," he announced, finding a wooden box.

"What have you found?" asked Zolfina.

Roddy groaned as he lifted the box by the leather straps attached on either side. "German explosives," he told her. "Nothing to worry about. It won't go off without a detonator, and the detonator will only ignite from an electric spark. The only problem is, I was really counting on Klaus to carry this for me."

 "I assume we now have a long walk ahead of us?"

"Pretty long," Roddy answered as he set off along the underground passage. "Watch your head."

_____

+–+–+

(@ @)

  VVV

Roddy led the way through the tunnels; Roddy carrying the explosives and Zolfina managing the toolbox. It wasn't a job either of them was particularly well-suited for, except they had no choice. There was certainly no going back, anyway.

The underground passages were frequently narrow and Roddy was forced to crouch low much of the time, although there was only one stretch where they were forced onto their knees, shoving their burdens along the stone floor ahead of them. Steep inclines, and the occasional short cliff climb added to their difficulties. The fact that the only light in the pitch darkness of the underground expedition came from Roddy's flashlight just increased the general feeling of despair.

"How ever did you know of this entrance?" Zolfina asked, hoping to dispel some of the gloom with conversation.

"I knew every inch of these tunnels at one time," Roddy told her. "I searched them all, looking for what I'm not sure any more. Adventure? Treasure? There certainly was no treasure. Unless you count a couple of lost shoes and a belt buckle. I did find a couple of old coins. Still have them back home in a box somewhere.