Chapter XV: So That's What Happened, Part II

Steve awoke. He opened his eyes, but then immediately forced them tight shut again.

"Aw, geez! Who turned on the lights in here?" he said. He slowly blinked until he became used to the brightness of the room, then looked up.

"WOW!" he shouted, shocked to find the faces of Dr. Pretorius, Dieter, and Friedrich all within inches of his own. Realizing who they were he calmed and said, "Oh man, it's just you guys. You know, you have got to learn about personal space."

"So nice to have you back with us, my dear!" Pretorius greeted Steve. "I'm glad you're awake. We have work to do."

Steve watched the doctor with increasing uneasiness, especially when Pretorius wheeled his gurney to the operating theatre, locking the wheels in place as it came to rest beside the table of scalpels and other assorted medical operating equipment. The doctor picked up a pair of rubber gloves, and worked his hands into them.

"So, what's on the schedule today?" Steve asked, his voice shaking slightly to betray his growing apprehension.

"Oh, have you forgotten?" Pretorius said as he arranged his instruments. "That's right, you just woke up. Perhaps you're still a bit sleepy. Why don't I recap our current situation?

"I need to understand exactly what it is that keeps you alive. To do that, I need to examine your brain. And by examine, I mean remove it. Take samples. Run chemical tests on it. Observe its reaction to various stimuli such as electric shock."

Steve attempted to remain calm, although his attempts were not completely successful. "Right. Yes, I remember some of that conversation now. Look doc, I know we've had our differences, and I'm sorry about your desk and everything, but you can't just kill me!"

"Oh, don't worry about that," said Pretorius with a dismissive gesture. "You will not die. You will be quite alive throughout the entire process."

"So, you'll put my brain back when you're done?" Steve asked. "I mean, like you did before?"

Pretorius looked up, thinking about what she had said. "Do you know, I hadn't thought about it. I suppose I could, yes. Assuming I learn the secret of life from examining your brain, it would be possible to put whatever remains back into this body."

Steve started to look hopeful.

"But then," Pretorius continued. "I don't see why I should bother. I can continue to keep your brain alive far more easily in a jar. It will be much more convenient that way, always accessible should I need it for further experiments in the future. Just think, you will continue to live forever, safe and sound on a shelf."

"Okay, thanks for all your hospitality and everything, but I think it's time I was leaving," Steve told them. He attempted to sit up, straining against his leather restraints, but couldn't move.

Pretorius continued to work, facing away from Steve. "You have been given a rather potent muscle relaxant while you slept. Enough to stop a charging rhinoceros in its tracks. Enough to leave you with no more strength than the little girl you appear to be. I'm afraid your immense undead strength will not be able to help you."

He turned around and held up a rather large hypodermic syringe, tapping the glass to remove any bubbles clinging to the side. He pressed the plunger slightly to eject a small stream of clear fluid from the needle. "Any final words?" he suggested.

"uh, help?" Steve said in barely more than a whisper. This was followed by a slightly louder "Help." Then he found his voice and continued with, "Help! HELP! Somebody HELP!" His screams were accompanied by a great deal of strenuous, albeit ineffective thrashing and straining against his restraints.