Chapter XVI: Livin' on the Edge, Part I

Chapter XVI
Livin' on the Edge

Fräulein Stein struggled against the leather straps which held her securely to the gurney. No one could stop it; it was going over the edge, and she would plunge with it to her death. The incredible strength of the undead was useless to her, as the powerful muscle relaxant poisoned every cell of her body, making her weak as a kitten. It was no use, but Steve concentrated anyway on breaking the straps...

Massive impulses from Fräulein Stein's motor neurons flowed throughout her body like waves of lightning, striking and energizing the cells of her body. Protein filaments in those cells, unable to produce force and motion due to the molecules poisoning her body, concentrated on those molecules, forcing them out of her cells like trillions of tiny pumps...

The gurney rolled past the edge, plunging into the chasm with Steve helplessly strapped to it. Zolfina buried her face in Roddy's shoulder as she could not bear to look. There was no sound for several seconds, but then a clattering crash was heard from far, far below. Not even Fräulein Stein could be expected to live through such a fall.

The Monster started to turn away, but his attention was suddenly drawn back to the cliff. There, where Fräulein Stein had just seconds earlier plunged to her death, a perfectly manicured hand appeared over the edge. It had a leather strap attached at the wrist, with a twisted and broken metal tube from the gurney tied to it.

Another hand appeared, and Fräulein Stein pulled herself up and over the edge. She stood, panting with effort, then ripped the leather strap from her wrist like it was paper before tossing it over the edge as well.

"Is it too much to ask that I might meet just one person today who doesn't freaking want to kill me?" she yelled.

As battle cries go it was perhaps a bit rambling. Nevertheless, Fräulein Stein charged at The Monster, slamming herself into him at full force and dropping him to the ground. She then grabbed him, spun him around and threw him into a nearby wall with a force that would have broken every bone in any other man's body.

The Monster shook off his initial shock from the attack, and when Fräulein Stein attacked him again he was ready. The Two Monsters struggled, pitting their enormous strength against each other.

Dr. Pretorius watched the fight with single-minded fascination, with Dieter and Friedrich standing behind him. Friedrich looked at Dieter and tilted his head, indicating the stairs and the way out of the Laboratory. Dieter nodded his agreement, and the two stooges quietly exited, leaving Pretorius on his own.

Fräulein Stein and The Monster fought across the lab, smashing all furniture and demolishing all equipment in a winding path of destruction. No sooner would The Monster pick up a table and smash it over the Fräulein's back, than she would respond by raising an enormous generator over her head and throwing it at him.

The Fräulein was giving as good as she was getting, but it was soon obvious to all that she did not have the strength to defeat The Monster. He was two feet taller than she was, and more than two hundred pounds heavier. She simply couldn't compete against his size advantage.

Fräulein Stein reeled from one of The Monster's blows. The Monster grabbed the girl from behind, his arm around her throat, choking the life from her. Fräulein Stein collapsed to her knees.

 Fräulein Stein collapsed to her knees