Chapter VII: Lunch with an Old Friend

Chapter VII

Lunch with an Old Friend

Roddy followed the sedan at a discreet distance; there was no reason to crowd them. He knew where they were going – Bistritz. Where they might go once they got there was what he wanted to know.

The road was long and winding, offering Roddy plenty of opportunities to briefly spot the sedan while maintaining his distance. As they approached Bistritz, however, he was forced to close the gap. Still, once they reached the city he found it was possible to maintain one or two cars between them. He was certain the driver had no idea he was being followed.

Roddy tracked the sedan through the familiar streets. He had lived here almost his entire life; he would not lose them. Still, he was surprised to see them turn off the main streets near his own neighbourhood. The car soon pulled up in front of the Golden Crown, the same tavern where Roddy had been just hours earlier. The man in the back got out quickly, then assisted the older woman out of the car and into the restaurant. The driver then pulled away to park the car.

Roddy parked his car on the street and made his way back to the Golden Crown. He entered the familiar doors and searched the room, quickly spotting his prey at a table toward the back. Maria, the owner of the tavern, greeted him as he entered. Maria had known Roddy since she was a child, over fifty years earlier, and knew him very well.

"Roddy, you are back so soon!" she exclaimed. "We don't usually see you for lunch. I'm afraid your favourite table is taken, but I can find you something nice that is close to the windows."

"Thank you, Maria," Roddy replied. "That won't be necessary. I'll be joining an old friend today."

Roddy moved past Maria, heading toward the back tables. Maria watched as he passed by, with a determination and purpose she would never have associated with the elderly man. She wasn't sure what had happened since this morning, but Roddy looked like a man half his age. Maria looked on with approval before returning to her duties.

Roddy walked up to the table and addressed the woman. "Major Valeria Engel of the SS, I believe."

The young man at the table, the elderly woman's bodyguard, looked at Roddy with surprise, and then fury. "How dare you!"

The woman looked up and spoke to defuse the situation. "It is Dr. Engel, thank you. I don't believe we have been introduced," she said.

"Oh, we've met, Doktor Engel," Roddy replied. It has been a few years. The last time we met I was forced to burn down your laboratory. And now I'm wondering if maybe I have to do it again!"

A light of recognition shone in Valeria's face. "Flight Lieutenant Roderick Danger Williams!" she exclaimed with delight. "How wonderful to see you again! Please, you must join us."

"It's just Roddy these days," he told her. "My middle name is no longer Danger. And no, I won't be joining you."

"But now I must insist," Valeria said, as her driver arrived behind Roddy with a menacing expression. Seeing no alternative Roddy sat down, followed by the driver who shoved him as he crowded in from the end of the bench seat.

"Friedrich!" Valeria admonished the driver. "Please behave. This is an old friend of mine."

"Actually, I would describe us as old enemies," Roddy corrected her.

"Friends, enemies, they are all the same to me," Valeria said. "I no longer distinguish between them. But please, you must tell me, however did you recognize me after all these years?"

Roddy looked back and forth, wedged in between the bodyguard and the driver. He really didn't know that much, and wondered how much he should give away.