Chapter II: Ankara Turkey, 1944

Chapter II
Ankara, Turkey
1944

Roderick 'Roddy' Williams of the Royal Air Force entered the small reception area outside the Air Marshal's office, shutting the door behind him. He snapped to attention before the Corporal sitting at the reception desk.

"Flight Lieutenant Williams, reporting to the Air Marshal as ordered," he announced himself.

The Corporal looked up from the work at his typewriter and saluted. "Flight Lieutenant, please go right in. They're expecting you."

Roddy crossed the reception and entered the door to the main office. Inside there were three officers including Air Marshal Philips, the highest ranking RAF officer in Eastern Europe. The other two included a General from the Turkish forces, and a man of indeterminate rank and nationality. Roddy stood at attention and snapped his arm upward in a salute, waiting for acknowledgement.

The three men continued to review the map which was spread out across the Air Marshal's desk, seemingly ignoring Roddy. Eventually the Air Marshal looked up in his direction.

"At ease, Flight Lieutenant," he said with a quick salute. "This is an operation briefing, not a parade ground."

Roddy dropped his arm, and stood stiffly at rest. Air Marshal Philips rolled his eyes and waved the young officer to join them at the table.

"Flight Lieutenant Williams, these are General Bardakçi of the Turkish forces, and Captain Lupei of the Romanian underground. The Captain brings us disturbing news of developments in northern Romania."

So that explained the Captain's incomplete uniform, Roddy thought to himself. Fighting had been intense across Romania throughout the war. There was no lack of interest in the region, with the Germans, Soviets, and Allies on three sides, and the country fighting against itself with a ruthless dictator inviting the Axis powers while the Royal family gave its support to the rebels. It was little wonder that the rebel Captain didn't have a complete insignia or bars on his jacket.

"Our forces have been planning a coup, to be staged later this summer," Captain Lupei explained. "We will depose the dictator Antonescu, and then join with the Allied Forces. Fighting is expected to be minimal, as German presence is negligible at the moment. They feel Antonescu has the country in his grip and is dealing with any insurrection. This gives us the freedom we need to seize power and take control.

"However this is now at risk, as German forces have been entering Romania from the north, establishing a stronghold here, just outside Bistritz. If they continue to build, it is feared Antonescu could call on these forces and crush the rebellion, ending all chance of restoring control of Romania to the people."

Roddy looked over the maps. "So, why the sudden interest in Romania from the Nazis?" he asked.

"We aren't completely sure," replied the Romanian Captain. "A lot of heavy equipment is being brought in, to a facility they have restored here," he said, pointing at the map. "The troops being brought in don't appear to be intended for combat, but more in defence of the facility. From what we can figure, the facility itself seems to be engaged in scientific research."

"More damned rockets," suggested the Air Marshal.

"We don't think so," replied Captain Lupei. "A shipment was recovered, and our experts tell us, as far as they can understand, it appears to be medical equipment."

General Bardakçi looked worried at this. "Scientific research, and heavy medical equipment being brought into northern Romania. This fits with radio transmissions we recently intercepted. We have very little to go on. The transmissions were encoded, but with an old encryption we broke last year. Very little was received before they switched to the current codes, but the discussions concerned a 'Super Soldier' project."

"What the devil is a Super Soldier?" the Air Marshal wondered.

"We have no idea," admitted the General. "Possibly a way to increase their soldiers' strength, or endurance in battle? Anything is possible in this modern era."

"Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good," Roddy offered. "So what is the plan, Air Marshal? I suppose you want me to lead a squadron to bomb the facility?"

"Negative, Flight Lieutenant," the Air Marshal replied. "A major response by our forces will just bring greater attention to the region from the Nazis, and we can't afford that."

"Our coup is fragile," Captain Lupei reminded them. "We feel we can be victorious against the current forces in Romania, and particularly if the Romanian forces switch allegiance from the tyrant Antonescu to the King. However we cannot afford the instability that a strong Nazi presence would bring."

"Then why, may I ask, am I here?" Roddy wondered.

"We're sending you in alone," the Air Marshal informed him. "You'll be flying a light reconnaissance aircraft fitted out for a tactical bombing raid."

"And what is my target?" asked Roddy. "Surely I can't destroy the entire facility with a single bomb."

"You won't have to," said Captain Lupei. "We have gathered ground forces, ready to attack the facility. The Germans are gathering defensive forces, although they are not yet prepared for a full assault. However they have one machine gun nest, perfectly placed to repel all ground attacks. If you can take out that one nest, our forces will do the rest. We are set to go for tomorrow night, if we can arrange RAF assistance."

"You expect me to hit a single machine gun nest with a bomb from a light plane in the dark at night?" Roddy asked incredulously.

"The nest will be easy to spot," the Captain told him as he laid out photos on the table. "The facility is built on the ruins of an old castle. Access to the castle was from a steep hill, easily defended from a tower built out above the slope. All that remains of the tower is its base, a stone prominence set out above the access. Anyone approaching can easily be cut down by machine gun fire directed from this prominence. However the machine gun nest itself will be easily spotted from the air above; an easy target."

"Easy target!" huffed Roddy. "Easy for you to say."

"Your plane is outfitted with two bombs," said the Air Marshal. "Should you miss, you can return for a second run and adjust. You have your orders, Flight Lieutenant. Unless there are further questions, you are dismissed."

"Thank you sir," said Roddy. With a sharp salute, he exited the room.

A/N: In the foreword I suggested Roddy was a bit serious and not particularly funny. Since then I've cast Roddy as Chris O'Dowd (The IT Crowd, Moone Boy), and simply by picturing him stumbling and pratfalling through the story the humour quotient is raised 100%! Please do so from this point onward.

This chapter is dedicated to Dan Garcia, who has waited longer han anyone should ever have to wait for a novel "^_^"