Chapter 33: The Decision

Evelyn's profession of freedom had caused a sudden change in Loki—one that he was unaware he wore so visibly upon his countenance. It was as if the word Freedom had awoken a strange new wave of anxiety within him. Evelyn could feel it in the way he held her close, as if he was savoring a feeling that would soon end. Often she would find him studying her as she read, his brow bent in concentration as he committed her very image to memory.

He gave no excuse to his absentmindedness, but merely offered a smile that weakly combated her concerns.

She knew her anxieties weren't entirely mirages when he never came to the tree where they first read poetry aloud to each other.

Ever since that day, they faithfully kept meeting under the tree to read aloud sonnets and short tales at just an hour before the sun became lazy and sunk behind the hills, announcing throughout the grounds that time for supper was approaching.

It was never a spoken promise to meet each day, but it was a quiet pact that they both kept as an escape from the challenges faced during the day.

It was a pact kept, at least, until he broke it. The book laid unopened in Evelyn's hand, awaiting her touch, but she never obliged, not even when the last of the sun's light was swallowed by the surrounding hills.

Wandering the castle, she found that he was no where to be found. At least, not in his usual favorite spots deep in the library. She probably wouldn't have found him if it hadn't been for Freya coming across her path as she searched.

With a saddened expression she remained silent as she pointed toward the west wing. Evelyn understanding in an instant swiftly made her way up to his chamber, only to find him looming above the glowing rose.

He stared down at the rose as if it was some sacred sibyl suppose to give him answers regarding his fate. The rose stared back up at him, unrelenting in its silence, looking healthier than it had when she first gave it back to him.

By the expression upon Loki's, it was clear that the rose only told him riddles and left him with more questions than answers.

Loki jumped slightly when he finally realized Evelyn's presence, startled from the thoughts he was clearly engrossed in.

His eyes widened in realization as he spotted the small book still clutched in her hands.

"I lost track of time." He said shaking his head, rubbing his temple as if wondering how he hadn't noticed the sudden darkness that fell upon the room.

"Loki are you ok-" Evelyn was about to ask.

"I'm fine." He interrupted.

Seeing her concern still plastered upon her face he pressed a hand upon his chest and raised the other. "I swear on my princely title."

He mockingly took a pretensions stance as he use to normally assume, his eyes closed dramatically as he raised his nose elegantly like a statue of a royal.

Evelyn allowed a smile to spread upon her face and a short laugh followed. Loki cracked an eye to see the result of his joke, happy to see the stern expression finally disappear from her delicate features.

"Come then." He said catching her free hand and laying a soft kiss upon her skin, "Lets make up for lost time and read by the fire instead."

Not being able to break away from his soothing embrace, she easily complied, but her mind was never truly at rest. All the while it swirled with questions, even presently as she stared down at her spell book, her eyes focusing on the words but unable to allow herself to actually read it.