Chapter 29: Fires of Hel

"We all have our demons. When we finally learn to let them go, we get to live and be free."
-Jodie Sweetin

"Prince?"

Evelyn's head was reeling from what she had just saw and the Beast was tense as he watched her, trying to read her reaction.

The creature had not only called him a prince, but an Asgardian as well.

She had never really been into the politics of the Royal family, but she knew that there were only two Asgardian Princes. One a great warrior, and the other...

"Prince Loki?" Her voice was soft and timid, as if she hardly even believed it could be true.

He didn't say a word, but she could see the change in is eyes, the slight expression of panic that his secret had been found out.

When he slowly nodded his head, Evelyn's heart sank and she took a step back in shock. She didn't know why it pained her so much to finally know the truth. Perhaps it was because he probably was never going to reveal his past to her. She bit her lip and looked down at her shoes, trying to fight back tears.

"You're freezing." He whispered as he got up and lead her to his bed by her shoulders. She sat down beside him hesitantly and didn't dare look up as he sprung up a fire from the hearth by the bed. She didn't realize how cold she was, the thin fabric of her robe didn't supply enough warmth in his winter-like room and she was thankful for the fire's warmth.

She played with the fabric of her robe to distract her busy mind as a silence filled the room.

"Please say something." He murmured, his hand slowly caught hers and she allowed her eyes to travel up to see him, troubled and peering down at her.

"How could you not tell me?" She asked, the crackling of the fire louder than her voice, but he heard her. "After everything, after bonding."

He could see the hurt in her eyes, but a defensive anger bubbled within him.

"You hadn't uttered a single mention of your name or past."

"My past isn't as significant." Evelyn countered.

"And mine is?" He asked, his eyes blazing, "Just because I have a titled? I thought you wouldn't be so sensitive to titles."

His word hit her hard, and her expression cleared as she mulled over his words. Yes, she'd never been one for titles. She loathed the title they have given each other, the title of Beauty and Beast, forcing them to forget that they were both the same in many ways.

But this was different.

"I'm sensitive when it reveals that I hardly know you."

"Then what else would you like to know?" He spat. "Have the people mentioned to you that I've tried to kill both my father and brother all for the throne? Or perhaps about the time I released my fury on Midgard and killed many poor innocent souls?"

His words came out like a deadly storm, fast and churning with anger.

"You didn't know me when you first came, but you were intelligent enough to realize that I was a Beast." The firelight seemed to shine in his eyes, making it appear as if his eyes were blazing with fire as he leaned forward, "You've just chosen to forget that."