Chapter 32 : Freedom

Evelyn looked up, only to have her eyes fall back down just as fast.

Up and down, up and down.

It was an unspoken game both Evelyn and Loki played. Both wanting to gaze upon the other, but dropping their eyes back to their books when their eyes met.

She gained the courage to look up again to see his eyes finally fixed on his book, but a smile pulled upon his lips. She stared at the upturn of his thin lips, wondering what he was thinking about.

She wondered if he thought of the night before. She could still feel his lips upon hers, like a phantom refusing to leave her. She was surprised by his tenderness, and how her hands naturally wrapped around the back of his neck. They had pulled apart breathlessly, their chests heaving as they both searched each other's eyes. The only sound was the crackling of the fire and their breathing.

His breath fanned against her cheeks as he leaned closer, a warmth overcame her body and she yearned to kiss him again. She yearned for the coolness of his skin for he had awoken a fire in her, one that use to be a small ember waiting for one to feed its appetite, and now she felt as if it would completely devour her. He was her only hope, he was the only one to save her from the fire within, but she also knew what would happen if she gave in.

She could feel it in the air, a strange buzz of uncertainty and desire, and by the look in his eyes, she knew that he could feel it as well. That was why he hesitated, his lips hovering above hers, waiting for permission but also wanting to claim her as he so deeply desired.

"I should leave you," she murmured, and yet she didn't move.

Loki closed his eyes, seeming pained by the idea of her leaving.

He nodded and softly kissed her forehead before helping her stand, she turned to leave but he stopped her by grasping her arm.

" I must give you something before you go."

He moved without another word and she watched as he made his way to one of his dressers to retrieve a small glass bottle that withheld a yellow oil.

"What is that?" She asked as he put his thumb over the opening of the bottle and flipped it upside down.

"Ancients believed oils had magical properties that could cure any ill." He said as he revealed his glistening thumb, smiling down at her. "They weren't completely wrong."

He brushed back the hair from her face and raised his thumb to her forehead where he rubbed the oil in. "This one will help you sleep."

The fragrance of the oil met her senses as he anointed her, but she woke from her bliss and tried to stop his hand.

"But then I won't have the vision again, I won't see what happens."

He shook his head, his expression determined as if he had made a decision.

"Your health is more important than my future."

There was something about his words, something so heavy and resonating that her heart swelled within her.

With a smile upon her lips, she leaned in and kissed the side of his mouth, not trusting herself to go any further.

"Good night, Loki."

He watched as she faded from his view, feeling her kiss linger on his skin and wishing her lips had ventured just a little farther.

Reflecting upon that night, she found herself smiling. She had felt as if she was floating as she made her way back to her room—and she had the best sleep she had in years.

"What?" She asked from across the room.

He glanced up, his expression feigning innocence as he gave her a questioning glance. With a roll of her eyes she rose and made her way to one of the tables that held the many books she had already studied. The Praedita sat there amongst the pile, a pale elvin creature with blackened eyes peered up at her from the pages. Evelyn smiled as she closed it, realizing how drastically her life had changed from the night of discovering its secrets.

"What is making you smirk?" She asked over her shoulder.

This only caused Loki's smirk to grow as mischief seemed to glow in his eyes. He sauntered his way over to her, placing his own book besides her, allowing their hands to brush.

She closed her eyes, feeling a familiar pull and  suddenly the smell of soil freshly wetted from the rain overwhelmed her senses. She was laughing, smiling until her cheeks were sore. She could feel the tall stalks of the golden wheat brush against her as she ran, and she glance behind her and all she could see were his green eyes.

"You would blush if I told you." He said against her ear as he lingered beside her.

His coy expression, however, melted away when she turned around and he saw her eyes swimming with wonder.

"What?" Loki asked worried, "What do you see?"

They were running side by side, not out of obligation or solemn promise. She could have easily chose to run further away, perhaps to the other end of the realm and never to glance back at his capturing emerald gaze again— and yet she remained at his side.

There was something about the feeling in the air, an electricity that made her want to dance for joy and shout until her lungs gave out.

"I see freedom."

Shoutout to all my readers, your enthusiasm and love keeps me going ! Special shoutout to @zylaann7 !

I was thinking of hosting an edit competition, what do you think? You guys would Dm me edits from this story, and I'm thinking a prize would be a follow and a shoutout? Idk I think it would be fun and I would put all the entries in a book for all to see.

Here are some examples below (sorry if they suck).

Anyways, love you guys! -Em

-Em