Chapter 31: Fiery Beast

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth - for your love is more delightful than wine."

-Song of Solomon 1:2

"You're not the only one who has haunting mistakes."

The Beast looked up, his eyes searching her face as she refused to met his gaze. He knew by the biting of her lip that she was fighting tears, and if she looked up her brown eyes would have been glistening with the mention of her past.

He remained still, hoping that his silence would push her to speak.

"My mother got sick one day." She began, swallowing down the fear that tried to prevent her from talking. "It was common for her to catch minor illnesses, but they rarely lasted long so I wasn't very concerned."

Evelyn could feel their connection grow once more as she closed her eyes, imagining that day, knowing that he could see as well.

"I was sent for the doctor," She said, seeing her young self walking down the short path to the town where the physician resided. "But I got distracted."

She could feel him searching her mind and she was surprised by his gentle presence as he walked the pathways of her mind. His fingers brushing against memories, causing them to appear in her mind's eye like a sprouting flower. He only stopped when he came to a stone wall in her mind, covered in sickly green moss grown for the purpose of hiding her guilt. She knew that as he pushed the moss away, he could see her younger self entering the town.

Her gaze was focused in the direction of the physician and she was only distracted when a bright glare blinded her eyes. Squinting, she moved aside and followed the light to find where the golden glare had come from. Not too far from where she stood was a booth with many sparkling trinkets, reminding her of the splendor of the palace of Asgard.

It was no doubt a traveling booth, for she had never seen its treasures before, nor the rugged man who seemed to run it.

His brown eyes reminded her of a traveler, a strange light that seemed to search for things they've never beheld, and yet, a sense of knowing lurking within. She eyed the strange brown coat he wore, looking different from the townspeople walking by.

The man took a deep breath of the air, "Don't you just love that smell?"

"Smell of what?" A woman that Evelyn hadn't noticed appeared from behind the man, her red hair seeming to be ablaze under the reflection of the sun.

"The smell of something beginning." He sighed and closed his eyes as the air blew softly through his brown hair. "The air of important whispering in the wind, warning of its approach."

"You know, the more you talk, the more I am sure you're completely mad." The woman replied incredulously,"What's next? You can feel the earth tremble with the oncoming wave of fate?"

A smile grew upon his lips as he gave the woman a smirk.

"Yes actually! But don't worry, when you travel as long as I have, you grow to notice."

"So you admit we've come too early?" His companion challenged playfully, "About time you admit your timing isn't exactly spot on."

"There's nothing wrong in being early." He said with a pointed look. "Sometimes it is better to see how things begin, and the people who grow to endure it."

His gaze suddenly fell on Evelyn and she jumped back startled. She was so engrossed in their conversation, that she hardly realized she was staring.