Chapter 18: According To Plan

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana

Chapter 18: According To Plan

It was harder to sneak away from Frea than Evelyn first thought.

It had never crossed her mind that since she was just an illusion she really wouldn't need any sleep; so the hope of sneaking away to the library was crushed when Frea stayed by her bedside keeping Evelyn company while she ate in bed.

She greatly enjoyed Frea's presence and company, but her thoughts were occupied with the book the Beast so hastily tried to hide.

Evelyn tried to pretend she was asleep in hopes that Frea would leave, but she only began embroidering a light blue fabric during her fake slumber. She almost gave up before an idea come to her mind.

She sighed loudly and Frea inquired if she was in need of something. Hiding a smile of satisfaction, Evelyn swiftly replied that she was having trouble relaxing and a nice bath would do the trick.

Frea smiled obligingly and began to prepare the waters for her and in very little time Eveyln was alone in her room with the steam from the bath rising in the air. The bath, indeed, looked inviting but it was now time for her escape.

Evelyn opened her door and peered down the halls, looking and listening for any signs of life.

With it seeming clear, she sprinted from the doors she hid behind like a caged bird escaping its gilded cage. She was careful to make sure her feet were silent for every sound echoed down the dark halls. Her heart fluttered against her chest as she came to a stop, her breath short and quick.

Which way, was the way?

She had focused entirely on how she would escape Frea's eyes that she hardly thought about how to get to the library.

She bit her lip as she stared into the darkness of the halls, the shadows in her imagination seemed to grow and stalk toward her. She whipped around quickly when she heard whispering behind her, but only saw another hall staring back at her.

She drew her brow in confusion and her heart began to beat faster as the familiar pull in her stomach began again.

She closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath.

Focusing on her body and where she was, she refused to be pulled into another one of her strange visions. It continued to pull relentlessly at her body, but she withstood.

She was not, however, strong enough to stop the voices talking in hushed voices around her.

"What's wrong with me?" A frantic young woman's voice seemed to come from the hall in front of Evelyn.

Hesitating for only a moment, she allowed her feet to slowly move down the hall.

"I promise we will figure this out, Nessa."

Their voices compelled her to keep moving forward and she found herself walking past many rooms and taking many turns. Their voices came in and out of seeming audible and she was only able to make up a few phrases that only left her confused.

But she trusted her instincts.

These voices, whomever they belonged to, would lead her to what she was looking for.

"I can't bear this burden any longer."

The library door came into Evelyn's view and she rushed forward.