Chapter 28: Prince

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

When Evelyn went to bed she had expected to dream of the very same torturous vision she had every night. But somehow, for no reason in particular, she dreamed of something else. Something far more sinister, it somehow made her prefer the vision with the painful screams.

A man laid on the floor crumpled in defeat with his red cape sprawled out beneath him, appearing like crimson blood pooling around his body. Even though it was just a vision, Evelyn could smell the foul essence of black magic. It was an indescribable putrid smell, and it made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, as the Beast had described to her once.

Although the man was badly hurt, Evelyn could feel the power that the man possessed, and likewise, the power that his amulet withheld. A golden chain hung from his neck forming a golden amulet in the shape of an eye, and at its center, a bright green powerful stone.

Suddenly a hand reached out and tore the stone out from the amulet and brought it up to their face to inspect it.

No matter how hard Evelyn tried, she could not manage to focus on the person's face with her drowsy mind; but she did hear the person murmur, "The infinity stone."

The person's tone was of satisfaction and triumphant, and without hesitation a knife was brought up to the man's neck before swiftly slashing down the blade, allowing his blood and life to drain away. Evelyn willed her mind to look away and her gaze fell on something far more terrifying.

The blurred person held a chain in the other hand, pulling along another person who was chain around the neck. Evelyn did not need to try to see his face, for it was someone she knew all too well.

His body was hunched out of exhaustion and he looked near death as wounds marred his blue flesh. The Beast looked up, his eyes somehow meeting Evelyn's gaze, his eyes full of pained betrayal.

He managed to croak out a question for her, his voice dry and strained.

"Why, Evelyn?"

Evelyn awoke with a start, she turned her head to her window and saw that it was still darkened by nightfall. She held a hand to her chest, feeling her heart race as she remembered the vision. She could feel it slipping into the darkness of her mind, like snow beginning to melt upon touching the warmth of her hand. It was almost as if the vision did not want to be remembered.

Perhaps it was too revealing.

Nevertheless, she found herself leaving the warmth of her bed as she wrapped her robe around her body and slipped on her shoes before running out.

She had to warn the Beast.

She was guided by a strange instinct pushing her forward and down the halls, urging her to delve deeper and deeper into the castle then she ever dared to wander before. She didn't know she had made it until she stopped, shivering from a sudden deep cold that seemed to come from behind two large wooden doors.

Feeling a bit hesitant, she pushed the doors wide enough for her to enter and had to stifle a yelp as she almost slipped on the icy floor. Glad that she had worn shoes, she made soft and steady steps into the room.

She was determined to find the Beast, but got distracted when her eyes landed on the rose. Floating inside a glass case, it seemed to glow in the center of the room giving off a wondrous glow, in contrast to the darkness of the room; the curtains hiding the windows were thick and seemed to be seldom opened.