My brave heart

After the whole scene with Mo'at and the tree of birth, so she calls it, (y/n) quickly made her way to Tsu'tey and Jake, who were gathered with two other younger Navi, a male and female, ready to pick out their Ikrans. She followed them as they trekked through the jungle terrain to the location. During their small hike, Tsu'tey would look back now and then to see (y/n) trailing behind slowly. She smiled softly at him when he looked at her and he did the same, sending her a small smile and quick nod her way before hardening his expression in font of the two young navi and continued their way.

(y/n) and the others reached the top of the small mountains in no time, slowly climbing up the ropes of dangling stone and vines and to the home of the Ikrans. (y/n) saw the top of the floating mountains that had large vines dangling down the edge.

"Ready!" Tsu'tey shouted in Navi as they all braced to grab the vines as they past. He took her hand and squeezed it before nodding to her, then shouted GO and jumped, grabbing a vine and swinging up while the vines moved. The two navi joined, and soon Jake, but (y/n) was reluctant. She gulped and inhaled, backing up and rushing to the edge, jumping and grasping the thick vine and hold on tightly as she swung towards the rock wall and closed her eyes a moment. The rush of wind and the bounding of her heart was all she could hear. She took a few deep breaths before exhaling slowly, looking up.

"(y/n) you ok!?" Jake called from above.

She nodded and began to climb the rope, reaching the top and sighing as two hands helped pull her up. She staggered up and straightened, seeing Tsu'tey looking her over.

"are you alright?" he asks. She nods and he smiles sighing in relief before letting go and turning to the others.

"Let's go." He says to the others and they followed him up the hill and through a small cave entrance.

The group slowly made their way to a large opening straight down to the ground where they saw Neytiri flying towards them. (y/n) had to fight not to look down over the cliff. In all honest, she was afraid of falling but she had to prove she was strong to those who believed in her, especially Tsu'tey. She didn't want to fail him; she wanted to prove she can do just as good as everyone else. And so, she watched as Jake was chosen to go first.

He handed (y/n) his bow weapons before slipping through the small waterfall that flowed down the side of the wall. Neytiri followed behind, the Tsu'tey, then the two, then (y/n). soon they were met with nests filled with ikran newborns, their mothers and fathers sitting on perches above them, watching as the navi slipped through the entrance and looking at them all. The squawking and chirping of the ikran were noisy and loud, but then all of a sudden they all went still and quiet. The navi froze, wondering what caught their attention when they realized each and every one of them were staring at (y/n) as she was walking through the small tunnel and inside. She stopped and gasped through her nose, seeing all of the ikran were staring at her, still and quiet as she slowly walked towards the others. Jake and Tsu'tey shared a look before turning to (y/n), who was watching the ikran.

"I think (y/n) should go first" Jake suggested.

Tsu'tey nods and motions her over. He takes her elbow and leans in as she eyes each of the ikran.

"You do not choose the ikran, the ikran chooses you. But be careful, if he chooses you, he will try to kill you." Tsu'tey says and she looks up at him before nodding slowly.

She inhales and sighs before taking the rope in his hands and walking forwards. The Ikrans all watched as the female walked through the nest, looking at each of them. It was a little disconcerting to see each animal stare at her, still as statues with just their heads following her. But she had a feeling it had something to do with the birth tree from earlier. She bit her lip and held out her hand, some would sniff her hand as she walked, others would put their heads in her palm as she passed by, purring slightly. Then suddenly she stopped, craned her neck to the side a bit, then her gaze shot up to the top cliff and began to climb the small cliff wall.

"(y/n) where are you going!?" Jake called but she ignored him.

Once on the top, she huffs out a pant and pulls herself up, looking at the sight before her. A male ikran, the largest and most fierce looking ikran around, lay sleeping on the ledge. As soon as she stood up however, his eyes shot open and he lifted his head. He turned to the newcomer and sniffed the air, then his wings flailed up and he stood slowly at his full height, growling low in his long throat at the female. She panted with fear as he stood tall, taller than most, and then as he stared down at her, she gulped.

'Eywa give me strength to make this creature my equal.' She thinks to herself.

Suddenly, the ikran roared loudly in her face, tossing her hair back over her shoulders and closing her eyes to keep the drool from going in her eye. Then he stopped roaring, growling again as she began to circle her. She paced around with him, keeping him at her front and pulling the rope from her waist as he snapped at her a couple times. He tossed his wing towards her and she ducked in time, then jumped as his tail swiped at her feet. Then she lunged towards his feet, sliding beneath him just barely missing his jaws as he snapped at her. While she looked beneath him, she quickly jumped up, rushed onto his tail and ran up his back and too his neck where she lassoed the rope and snagged it around his large mouth.

As soon as he felt the rope around his mouth he began to screech and buck. She grabbed hold of his neck as he flew up and jumped around, bucking and flinging her around, all the while Tsu'tey and Jake were calling her name worriedly, only seeing the tail and wings of the great beast thrashing around. She finally grabbed her cue and snatched the large antennae beside the beast's head and stuck them together.

Suddenly her body felt weightless again and the ikran froze. Her vision was white for a moment and she felt breathless. She gasped before closing her eyes, seeing nothing for a moment. Until the ikran's vision came into view. She smiled in relief as she saw the ikran's sight, looking down at the cliff and huffing. This made her own breathing ragged and soon the two were in sync, breathing in tune with their heart beats. She opened her eyes and smiled at the creature, who was looking behind at her.

'thank you.' She smiled at the ikran before gently pulling the rope from his mouth. It screeched a little but nuzzled her, causing her to huff out a small silent laugh.

"(y/n)!" Jake and Tsu'tey shouted over and over again as worry seeped into their core.

Tsu'tey was about to run up and find her when they saw a shadow cross over them. They all looked up and the two younger navi exclaimed in awe and wonder at the large red monster of the sky staring down at them, his chest puffed out proudly as (y/n) sat atop him. Tsu'tey was so in shock he didn't see Jake and the others cheer for the female, his own smile forming on his face as his heart beat faster at the sight of her.

"Toruk makto." He whispered as the giant ikran floated down gracefully, landing at their feet. They all slowly lowered their heads in respect of the great sky beast as (y/n) smiled down at Tsu'tey, who slowly walked up, warily walking to her and patting her leg.

"The first flight seals the bond, go now."

She smiles and nods, head held high as toruk suddenly jumped from the cliff, falling straight down the cliff. They all watched in awe as his bright flame red wings flew open, floating them aways away until he flew up, soaring high into the sky. (y/n) closed her eyes as she watched from the ikran's view. His eyes were sharper, and he knew where to fly.

'We are one.' A voice called from the back of her mind. She opened her eyes as he flew straight.

'one' she thought to herself as he looked down at her new friend. He craned his neck and purred at her as he flew. She smiled and leaned on him, laying her head on the back of his neck as they glided through the air. She bit her lip as a name came to mind, the name of a brave dragon in stories she read as a child. He was kind and gentle but brave and strong, no one could defeat him and he flew with the most powerful wings and the strongest heart. She smiled as she looked down at her new companion, the name echoing in her mind.

'Izycru, the brave heart.' She thought to herself.

The ikran looked at her and purred, seeming to like the name and she grinned, throwing her head back and lifting her arms, feeling the cool wind blow through her hair and the feel of the sun on her face. Nothing could be better than this.