Return to Reality

Tsu'tey left Neytiri to take the two newcomers to a bed for them to share, still under the impression they were mates and figured they wanted to sleep together. Jake watched Neytiri climbed into her own bed and he shrugged at (y/n), jumping in the net and laying down, facing her. (y/n) was more reluctant to go in; she had to share a bed with Jake because they all thought he was her mate, but it made her feel weird. The thought made her a little uncomfortable and she fidgeted in her spot.

"What is wrong (y/n)?" she heard and turned to Mo'at as she walked up. She sighed and looked down at Jake, who had already fallen asleep, probably back at the base in his own body. She gulped and looked back at her. She didn't know how to say it because she couldn't understand sign.

"He is your mate isn't he?" she shook her head and she cocked her head confused.

"Is he family?" she shook her head again and she nodded.

"A friend then... come we will find you a place to sleep." She says.

Smiling, she followed the Tsahik down the branches and to an empty net. It just so happened to be next to Tsu'tey and as he was settling in, he looked up confused. Mo'at helped her into the net and she sat down in it. She nodded in thanks and signed it, earning a confused look. She frowned and bowed her head in thanks instead, hoping that would get across. Mo'at smiled and nodded back, letting the girl lay down and touch the end of the net and it closed around her. She closed her eyes and fell asleep. Tsu'tey got up and moved to Mo'at, who was leaving the branch but stopped when he walked up to her.

"why is she not with her mate?" he asks her.

"He is not her mate. We have been mistaken." Mo'at replied.

"Then why does he protect her like he is?" he growled.

"You are concerned?" Mo'at asks raising an eyebrow at him. He looked away sharply and moved back to his net.

"I will not have him try to fight me when I teach her. She is weak looking, so if I hurt her he will try to attack. I will have to kill him." He says almost proud.

"Not if you are kind to her." Mo'at replied before leaving.

Tsu'tey looked at her sleeping form before lying back in his own net, his body turned away from her in defiance. But he couldn't shake the image of her half naked form from his mind; her body was beautiful, for a sky woman.

When (y/n) came to, she gasped in a huge lung full of air and opened her eyes. Grace and Max were above her with Jake sitting by her side, shaking her gently.

"Oh man, thought you were stuck there. Welcome back!" Jake says smiling.

"Are you alright?" Grace asks. (y/n) nods and sits up slowly.

'How long have I been in there?' she asks.

"A few hours longer than necessary; your brain just refused to come back into link." Max says as Jake wheeled up.

"Hey, you ok?" he asks. She nods with a small smile and gets up off the link and sighs.

'Grace?' she signs to Max. he points to the screens and she slowly walks over. Grace saw her up and smiled, putting her hands on her waist.

"Well, close call there huh? Are you feeling any side effects?"

'No, but I have a question about the avatar.' She signs. Grace raised an eyebrow in question.

~~~~~

The next morning after meeting with Grace and talking to her about the predicament of what happened, (y/n) asked her what she wanted to know. She was chewing her bottom lip and twiddling her fingers nervously as Grace looked over her DNA samples and medical history as they sat at her desk in the back room of her office.

"I can see why you want your Avatar to speak (y/n), speech is important to the Na'vi people. But..." Grace says looking over the papers of (y/n)'s avatar, then took her glasses off and looked up at the young woman. When she said the word 'but' (y/n) frowned sadly.

"I'm afraid the DNA we extracted from you is identical to the DNA of the avatar, so since you were born mute, your avatar can't speak either. I'm sorry (y/n)." She says looking over sadly at the her. (y/n) sighs nodding slowly and stood.

'Thank you for looking for me.' She signs and walks out.

Grace felt a little bad for the girl; she was missing out on not only learning to speak the language, but being able to understand them completely. (y/n) closed the door behind her and left the office, down the halls with her hands in her pockets. Her eyes were cast down as she walked slowly down the halls back to the lab where they were going over what all happened that day. As she walked in, she saw Jake and Norm arguing.

"...Yeah well I didn't ask for this to happen ok? So get over it!" Jake hissed as he wheeled away from the skinny man. Norm just threw his hands up and turned away, brushing past (y/n) and left the room with a quiet goodnight. She turned back to Jake, who was staring at the link as she walked up. He saw her and sighed in relief.

"Hey, you ok?" she nods and he smiles lightly.

"That's good, I was kind of worried about you since you wanted to talk to Grace. What did you want to ask her?" (y/n) sent him a bland look and he smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head.

"Nevermind how about a game of charades." She smiled and nodded.

"Okay, so, you were talking to her about..." she raised her hands, poking herself in the forehead.

"Your brain... oh the avatar link." She nods impressed.

"Oh wait, you were asking about the Na'vi weren't you?" she nodded again.

"And what did she say?" he asks, his voice sounding hopeful. She frowned and shook her head.

"Avatar can't speak either huh? damn." He says, then wheeled over where she was leaning on the nearest link with her arms crossed loosely. He slowly and gently took her hands and she looked down at him, tears nearly brimming her eyes.

"It's ok. To be honest I would rather talk to you and learn sign from you directly. I love the personal time we have together." He says with a light dust of blush on his face. She smiles softly and takes his head, kissing the top of it and patting his cheeks.

'Thank you.' She signs and he smiles, nodding to her before they left the lab together.

They parted ways and she went to her room, silently as she could before going to the bunk and slipping inside, not bothering to put her pajamas on. She had a spare pair of scrubs for tomorrow anyway, and they were comfortable, so she laid down on her bed and sighed silently closing her eyes against the stinging of the tears that she refused to let escape and left the sorrows of the day slowly dissolve into a dream of running through the jungle and flying high in the air.