Chapter 22

"Kristi!" Sam yelled.

"Sam, what's wrong?" his mother asked, running into the room, when he started trying to wake her up.

"She won't wake up." He was unable to stop the sobs that escaped, or the tears that were flowing down his cheeks.

"Doctor," his mother called out. Moments later, there were a lot of nurses and several doctors around her, all trying different things to bring about some kind of response.

One of the doctors broke away from the group, coming over to Sam. "Son, she's still alive. We're going to take her for some scans to see what's going on with her brain, and we're doing blood work to see if there's something in her blood. Right now, we're going to focus on keeping her alive, but that doesn't seem to actually be a problem. We just can't wake her up, and at this point, we don't know why."

"Doctor, do you know what she is?" Sam asked.

"Yes, I know," he replied.

"She drained her sire, and thinks she might have a different form of the virus, and Charlotte gave her the serum to cure the virus too," Sam said.

"We knew about the vaccine being administered, and have samples of it, but we were not aware of the possibility of a new variant of the virus. It's possible there is some kind of systemic struggle with the virus and the vaccine. We'll focus our efforts there. Thank you for telling us about this," he said.

It was a little while before Charlotte finally arrived, and although she looked worried, she didn't appear rushed. As a matter of fact, she wore a small smile, but that smile slipped when she saw the worried look on Sam's face and Kristiana unconscious in the bed beside him.

"What has happened?"

"Kristi told me the cure wouldn't work for her. She said it would kill her, because her blood is different. But she also got a different virus when she drained her sire, and the doctors are seeing if that has something to do with why she's asleep and won't wake up."

"Oh God! She always told me I did not think ahead far enough, and now my short sightedness has hurt her."

"My child, I knew you would take me

"My child, I knew you would take me. It is good that this has been done. Now, what we are can become something much better, much stronger. In you we have the ability to remake our kind, slowly," the old monster told her.

"I killed you! How are you talking to me?"

"I know not the circumstances that you took me, as I arranged them, but I am not talking to you. I love modern science. You see, I could discern the questions you would most likely ask, and had them programmed into what you are actually speaking with. It is smooth, is it not?"

After a short time, he started talking again. "I made you as I have all of my children, at first, not realizing what I had in my hands. We of the council of ancients wanted to advance what we are to the next level. When Bojan found you, he could see this where I did not, and gave his blood to you. This fulfilled the next step in the evolution of our kind. The final step was for you to receive my virus again, which I arranged. You did as I wanted and have taken my life blood and reintroduced my virus to your blood to mingle with Bojan's again, making you something greater, the fulfillment of our ambition. This new virus will not be cured by the serum you and those knights have made. But you will be more powerful than any of our kind. We that know of this project have foreseen this. You can make children without the problem I have always had. There will be no more wild children. I was the source for them, and you have ended that, the fight you always fought, like that man in the story that charged the windmills. Be careful making children, though. They will not be like those of the past, and do not allow anyone to take you. This would be very bad, for they will not be able to handle what they become. You are the only one, as you have kept what you were, and that is what we wanted. May God bless you, my child, and may he forgive me for what I have taken from you as payment for this gift, but it was necessary."