Chapter 16

Kristiana was talking on the phone, as he walked up to her. Although he'd kissed her last night, and she had even kissed him, he was still nervous with the idea of walking up to her and kissing her. Not quite able to work up the nerve to do so, he sat in the chair opposite her and waited.

"Ja, es ist eine Bombe, aber es muss getan werden, um Flüssigkeit in die Menschen in der Gegend zu injizieren." Sam understood very little of what she said. Her German was simply too much better than his. What intrigued him, though, was that she wasn't speaking as fast as she had that first day in German class, and her accent wasn't getting in the way, either.

"Es soll in einem offenen Raum ausgestellt werden und ein Serum in viele Menschen gehen lassen," she then said. There was a pause. "Danke mein Freund. Ich bin gespannt zu sehen, was Sie daraus machen," she said, and hung up.

"It is good to see you, Sam," she said, leaned forward and gave him a quick kiss.

"I was worried when you didn't come to school."

"I promised I would come. I do not break my promise, unless I do not have a choice, or there is some very good reason, and I will tell when this is so."

"I know your phone call isn't any of my business, but we're you talking about a bomb?" he asked, and she smiled.

"You listen too much. Yes, I am having a bombs made. It is special bombs that I think I might use to stop the wild vampires. I am not sure it will work, but I want to have them, as a choice."

"How many people can just have a bomb made?" he asked, although it was asked rhetorically.

"More than you would think."

"Sam, would you please come with me?" Sam turned to see his Uncle Jake standing a little distance away. He looked poised, as if expecting something. Kristiana didn't look at all surprised.

"I give you my word I would not hurt him."

"I don't want you near him," he said.

"Uncle Jake, Mom said I could come hang out with Kristi. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I'm going to go with Mom's permission." Uncle Jake looked at him, surprise plastered on his face.

"Sam, there are things your mother doesn't know about her. I think I have authority here, so come away from her, now."

"No."

"Sam, go with your uncle. He only want best for you." He looked back at her, and saw the sadness in her expression. She was trying to push him away, again.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not leaving her." Sam walked around the table and took her hand in his, intertwining his fingers in hers. Although she'd told him to go, she didn't resist.

"Like I said, your mother doesn't know everything about her."

"Then tell her. Let her make her decision when you tell her everything there is to know about Kristi."

"Kristiana, I thought we'd agreed that you wouldn't come near him."

"I never agreed to this, but I did wish it," she said.

"Did?" Jake asked.

"Yes, did. I can no longer try to push him away. He has beaten me."

"How old are you?" he asked.

"How old do I look?" she asked him.

"You look about 12, but I know you told him you were 14."

"I am 14 years old, when I became the person that I am." Jake's eyes widened a little with her response, and he glanced over at Sam. Sam worked as hard as he could on his poker face. This was not a time to let his uncle know just what he knew.