Chapter 9

"Kristiana, why are you up?" Charlotte asked, as she emerged from her room. Kristiana was pretty sure she'd been making too much noise, and now her concern was proven true. She was normally a lot quieter, but she wasn't able to focus well enough to be as quiet as she should have been. Charlotte was now going to have her victory.

"I get ready to go to mall." Charlotte stood there, staring at her. She knew why, of course, but she was going to have a tiny bit of fun with this. It was Charlotte's idea, in the first place.

"Why you stare?"

"Why are you going to the mall?"

"I go hang out."

"What do you mean, 'hang out'?"

"Sam ask me hang out. I also do not know what it is, but I say yes. I think it to study."

"What!?" Charlotte's mouth was hanging open, her eyes were opened wider than usual, and she was leaning forward a little, as if about to walk, but had become frozen.

"I not talk loud enough? I go study with Sam. You say I should, so I do." She knew full well the exclamation wasn't meant to be answered.

"You're going on a date, with the hunter's nephew?"

"It not a date. It is just study. We meet at mall and not library."

"Did he ask you to go to the mall, and will there be other kids there?"

"He first ask to go to library, then change to mall. He promise no other kids will be there."

"He thinks it's a date, because that's what it is," Charlotte said.

"That not true. It only study," she replied, but she was getting worried. She could see the truth of what Charlotte was telling her, and she hadn't picked up on that when he had asked her. That boy distracted her, way too much. Actually, maybe she had known and hadn't admitted it to herself.

"Ah!" she almost yelled, as that realization settled in her mind.

"You see, don't you?"

"Yes, and that not what I thought. I mislead him," she replied, pulling her phone out. Very quickly she pulled up his contact, having already gotten his phone number, long ago.

She quickly typed, "This Kristi. Should have give number at school. Did not think to do it. Bring school stuff. We help each other. It for study. Now you have my number. I take text any time. Will answer fast unless problem stop me." After looking at it a moment, she pressed send.

"How did you get my number?" He texted back.

Thinking fast, she typed, "Record search give it. Easy to do."

"Okay. See you at the mall in a little while."

Smiling to herself, she replied, "See you in a little while. :) " His reply gave her the proper English, for a change.

"It not a date, now," she said, setting her phone down and smiling up at Charlotte. The older woman looked at her, suspicion painted in the return stare. She showed her the text exchange, still smiling.

"Maybe," she admitted. "Would you like me to do your hair, and help you with your clothing?"

"That would be nice. I thank you."

"Your English is getting better, Kristiana, or should I start calling you Kristi?"

"Call me what you prefer. We friend too long to restrict," she replied, as Charlotte rummaged through her closet. After a few moments, Charlotte emerged with a very nice dress. Unfortunately, it was more for a formal party, or maybe a ball. Charlotte knew that, too. Kristiana knew she was playing with her, seeing how far she could push this into something more than it was.