Chapter 15

Kristiana watched Sam and his mother leave. Yes, she really liked him a lot, but she knew it wouldn't end well. There was no way it could.

"My sweet, I think this evening went very well, especially for you," Charlotte said.

Kristiana turned to face her, tears running down her cheeks, both from sadness and also a seething anger. That anger was on the verge of exploding, and she knew she couldn't say anything without doing irreparable damage to their relationship. Instead, she walked away, straight to Stefans. Still not saying a word, she made a motion with her hand. He understood, although she had no idea how, because she didn't use one of the established signals, not that there was one for what she wanted. Maybe he just knew her well enough.

A short time later, she was in her room, taking off the trappings of high society and her position. Once done, she put on her 'work' clothes. Although she didn't really need the disguise any longer, it gave her some small illusion of the vampire being someone else, and her just being a regular girl when she wasn't wearing it.

Being as quick as she'd been with her change, she walked out of the condo before Charlotte got home, two guards flanking her. Stefans joined them in the lobby, making it three guards accompanying her. She wanted to hunt, find a way to dispel some of her frustration, her anger...and her excitement. But there was an underlying intent to what she was doing, as there usually was.

"Stefans, tell me of one of these vampires that you would count as evil, one that preys on children." She wasn't even bothering to speak English. In her current state of mind, she was the monster of nightmares, but not for whom the stories would make her out as.

"Kristiana?" he asked, not bothering with the normal address. He was worried about her, but she had nothing to fear. This person would not pose a threat to her.

"I want someone to kill." Stefans looked at her a moment, silent, unmoving. "Stefans, I do not wish to kill someone that is good. Give me what I want."

"As you wish," he replied, then told her of one he thought would give her what she wanted. He was a particularly nasty vampire, even by local standards. The one thing he was guilty of, which the local council seemed to have turned a blind eye to, was his desire for younger children. That was all it took for Kristiana, and exactly what she wanted.

She knew there was an insane look on her face, as she started her hunt. Stefans told her this particular vampire frequented a certain club, which was common to vampires. Apparently, it was also frequented by regular people, making it a prime spot for hungry vampires.

"Have Charlotte meet us at this club." Her voice was low and menacing.

"As you wish." She ignored the odd look he shot her way.

Patiently, she waited for Charlotte to arrive. When she did, Kristiana simply stood up, having been seated on the ground with her legs crossed. If it hadn't been for the look on her face, and her clothing, she'd have looked like any other child.

With Charlotte trying to keep up, she walked into the club, and looked. Finally, she found the man Stefans had described. He had jet black hair, a close trimmed beard, and he was almost sleek looking. The thing that truly made him stand out was a small birthmark, just above his left eye ridge.

"Kristiana," Charlotte began, but she didn't listen. She walked straight to the man, who smiled at the sight of her. His stare gave away his desire, which disgusted her even more.

"What have we here?" he asked, eyeing her with undisguised lust. Kristiana felt utter contempt for him, along with most of the vampires in America. Aside from his contemptuous desires, the American vampires had an innate sense, part of what they were, and they didn't exercise it. If the council had, or this pathetic creature would, they might have saved their lives. Actually, there was no way this foul creature could. He just didn't realize how soon his death was.