Chapter 21

At 1:00 in the afternoon, she was sitting in her room, already dressed, but not as she usually was for this sort of thing. She was dressed like a girl from her time, and her home. She was dressed as a bride from her village, so long ago.

Prior to dressing, she had started putting her blood, which she'd been collecting, into the little bombs. She hadn't collected enough, so she was required to get even more from herself. Just to have some strength for the task, she was drinking at the same time. Of course, what she drank didn't immediately replace what she took from her body, but it would provide her some strength.

Content with her outfit, she very slowly picked up the tiara, which she'd never worn, and put it on her head, tears running down her cheeks as she did. She then used some pins to secure it in place, knowing when she got to her destination, it might get jostled, and she wanted it on her head until the end.

She then began composing instructions for Charlotte, her long time friend and companion. This was difficult, but didn't compare to the earlier events of the day. To make it a little easier for Charlotte, she wrote it in the woman's native Danish.

Charlotte, my friend, I have known you for more than two centuries. This time, I go on a mission I may not return from, and I must make arrangements in case I do not. You have always been who I wanted to continue this when I die, and I have always known I will one day die.

She could see, and almost hear, Charlotte scolding her. "Kristiana, I can't let you do something foolish," Charlotte would tell her, and of course, she'd do it anyway. That brought a small smile to her face, along with fresh tears.

I have put things on the drive that is with this letter you need to know, should I not come back. These are things only the ancients know. If I do not return, you must open this and follow my instructions. Also, if I do not return, you will be queen. Artis already has instructions for continuance.

When you read the documents on that drive, you will understand why I do the thing I do, and because of my blood, only I can do this. If this does not work, you must get all of our people out of this city as soon as possible. Also, arrange a safe place for Sam's family as quickly as possible. They cannot be allowed to die with the city.

There are many things you do not know about me, and what I am. This discussion is part of that, and much will be contained in the data. Should I die, you must know these things. However, and this I give you the strongest warning for. Do not open the documents if I am not dead. The ancients will destroy you, and it will be done very slowly, and painfully. They do not allow any to know of them unless you are one of them, and if I live, you cannot be. Please, if you value our friendship, and our love, do not open this unless you are certain of my death. I will not be able to save you, if you do, and I am not.

Now, I must go. I have a date. In case I do not return, as I suspect I will not, it has been the greatest privilege to know you, and have you as my friend, my guide...and my conscience. May God watch over you.

Always yours,

Kristiana

Daughter of Sakse and Gunhild

After scrawling her true signature, along with the addition, she stood up. Knowing it wasn't real, she imagined Charlotte came to her and hugged her. She recalled Charlotte saying, "I will always love you, my sweet." Yet more tears rolled down her cheeks.

"And I you, my friend. Please watch over Sam family," Kristiana whispered in English, then lifted the large duffel she'd prepared. Just as she was walking out of the room, she stopped and turned back to look at her imaginary Charlotte. "You were right about America and Sam. You were right." Having said that, she walked out.