Chapter 12

"Kristi, are you ok?" Sam texted her, for what seemed like the hundredth time.

Finally, he received a reply, "I healing be not school days" Her English had regressed, which worried Sam. She'd been trying so hard to get good with it, and had actually been getting pretty good.

"People attackt me I sleep HUrt huge not see days i hurt" he then got. It was quickly followed by another. "Sorry no text Sleep much into normal sleep time Not think gut To jest dla mnie niebezpieczne zdlvbjueeeeee"

"Kristi, you're not making sense. Could I come see you?" he texted back, but there were no further replies.

"You have to be at school tomorrow to turn in your essay. I could turn it in for you, if I can come see you." he texted. Still, there was no reply.

"Uncle Jake, I think Kristi is really hurt," Sam said, heading home that afternoon. He handed his phone to his uncle, letting him see the texts.

"She said she was, but there's nothing we can do. We don't even know where she lives," his uncle replied.

"I know. I wish she'd tell me so I could go see her, make sure she's okay."

"Sam, you haven't known her that long. It'd be a little weird for her to volunteer that information so easily."

"But I'm worried about her."

"I know, but there's nothing you can do about it." Sam's phone chirped then, and of course he looked at it. Sam was shocked to see a text from Kristi's number, but it definitely wasn't from her.

It read, "Sam, I am Charlotte, Kristi's guardian. She was attacked after school, and badly injured. She will be in school Friday. Thank you for being kind to her. Please be patient with her. She is hard to get close to, but she is worth it."

He handed the phone back to Jake. When his uncle was done reading it, he handed it back.

"You'll see her Friday," Uncle Jake said. After a pause he added, "It sounds like Charlotte thinks she likes you, too, and I think she pretty much confirmed what I've been telling you."

The days between Tuesday and Friday were pure torture for Sam. Sure, he had other friends, but he'd become accustomed to talking to her everyday. He also didn't like the way they'd parted Monday. In addition, he was very worried about her, because he knew she'd been hurt. However, the part that he knew was the real problem was that he liked her so much, and didn't like not seeing her, and not knowing how she was doing.

When Friday finally came, he was ready early. It was almost like anticipating Christmas, for him. He knew his feelings shouldn't be the way they were, but he couldn't help it. Uncle Jake, however, seemed to be running slow.

When they finally got to school, Sam jumped out of the car, barely gave a 'goodbye' and 'thank you', and headed to the main entrance. He stood there as long as he possibly could, almost too long. Finally, he gave up and headed in.

Getting to class, a little let down, he wasn't expecting to see her already sitting in her desk. She definitely didn't look good. There were bandages on both of her legs, visible at the hem of her skirt, and on her left arm. She looked tired, as well, with dark circles under her eyes.

"What happened?"

"I say I am dangerous. You do not listen," she said, barely above a whisper. It sounded like she had no energy to Sam.

"I know you got hurt, but are you okay?" Oddly, a smile formed on her face that kind of scared him, but he couldn't figure out why.

"I am okay. The ones attack me are not."