Clues and Goodbyes

Driving on the open road in the fresh country air, Phillip, Herman and Maria were on the move. Their destination was toward the coordinates from the scrolls.

Maria felt nervous begin inside the car; she clung to her seatbelt tightly but Herman ensured her that everything was alright. She felt better afterwards.

In front of them, there was another car, driven by Tintin. The Captain was on top of the roof with a telescope in his hands. No one behind their car could hear anything but trying to catch up with them almost seemed impossible.

'Are you sure they know where they are going?' Maria asked her Uncle.

'I'm sure they know. You worry too much my darling'.

Suddenly, there was a cry of "Starboard! Quickly!"

At the speed of light, Phillip drove over the speed limit in attempt to catch them. The car drove into a hedge and a garden. Phillip didn't take any chances. He continued to drive on the road until he past two large gates. In a blink of an eye, Herman noticed Tintin's car stopping in the patio.

'Hurry, Dad!' he cried. 'Turn around!'

Phillip obeyed his son and slowly he parked behind the car. The three of them were impressed and confused.

'What is it?' Maria asked.

'I heard of this place', her Uncle answered. 'This is Marlinspike Hall. It is home to generations of Haddock's. The last owner used to be the Captain's grandfather before the family went into huge debt'.

'It looks big'.

'Not as big as the Karaboudjan', Herman said.

The pair of them giggled in unison, much to Philip's annoyance; the trio then saw a figure, walking toward their car. The figure was the same man who was Sakharine's driver; the man – once he had stood in front of the passenger door – placed his hand on the door handle and opened it to let out Maria and Herman.

"Miss Maria, we've been expecting you", said the man.

"You must be Nestor", said Maria. "It's a pleasure to met you".

"Likewise, Miss Maria".

Once they were out of the car, Maria, Herman and Philip were led by Nestor; the butler of Marlinspike Hall took them inside the main hallway, where Captain Haddock and Tintin were waiting for them.

"Welcome to Marlinspike Hall", said Nestor.

Lost in fascination, Haddock examined the room; his face was lit up and his smile was very wide. "Look at this place", he said, "I don't think it's changed at all since I was a wee boy".

"You lived in Marlinspike before?" Herman asked.

"No", replied Haddock, "my Grandfather previously own the place before the family were in debt".

"You must be delighted to have it back", said Philip.

"I think he is", replied Maria, "there's no doubt about it".

"And may I say, Sir, how much I'm looking forward to having a Haddock back on charge of the estate", said Nestor.

"You will have to wait for a long time, Nestor", replied Haddock. "There is no way I could afford to live here".

Tintin, who was examining  the paintings (but they were covered in cob webs and dust, so he couldn't see them clearly) came up to his friend and with a smile, he said, "Well, Captain, you know the house. Where do we start?"

Led by the Captain, Tintin, Snowy, Philip, Herman and Maria (with Nestor behind them) walked out of the hallway and down toward a dark basement, which was below the living room. The entire room was very dark, so Tintin escorted Maria to go first and for her safety, he held her hand, should she accidentally fell down the stairs. Luckily, she didn't.