Mines the Gang

Author's Note: Wow, I cannot believe how much response I'm receiving so far. 😮 Thank you so much for your wonderful support. ❤️
I thought about including another song (for the Lieutenant's radio), set in the 1930's - Tintin's decade. This one came from out of nowhere, but I included it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of the story. All best. 😇

Maria opened her eyes; to find herself in a dark and strange room, filled with beds and little sunlight. She scanned around it with her eyes. It wasn't like a cabin or a belly of a ship. It was all man made – covered in strange materials and colours. There was no one in the room, apart from herself but Maria couldn't stay. She got up and walked to the front door. Outside, she found soldiers, who were practicing their morning drills. Interested, she watched from a distance, leaning her weight on the railings. One soldier had the chance to wave at her when he made contact; Maria waved back.

'Fascinating, isn't it?'

Maria jumped at the voice, which was hiding behind her. But sighed with relief when she saw his friendly smile. The man handed his palm to Maria, revealing to be her locket.

'Thank you, sir', she said, putting it on her neck.

'I kept it when we found you and your friends unconscious. I didn't want it to strain your neck and cause an injury. It's a beauty. Tell me, where did you get it?'

'My friends gave it to me during my travels', Maria responded.

'How delightful. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Lieutenant Delcourt, a member of the Afgharin ranks'.

'Pleased to meet you, Lieutenant. I'm Maria'.

'Well, Maria. What's a girl like you doing here in the desert?'

'We're solving a mystery. To find treasure and to find my family'.

The two of them went into the Lieutenant's office. He invited Maria to sit while he poured a drink. A song played on the radio – a jolly tune, which the Lieutenant enjoyed. Maria had never heard music. She was intrigued; Maria asked Lieutenant what the radio was playing.

'It's an orchestra with a very talented singer', was his reply; he couldn't remember the title of the song. Maria didn't mind. Like the Lieutenant, she was enjoying the song.

Suddenly, a news flash appeared; a bulletin for breaking news. 'We interrupt this programme to bring you breaking news. We understand that an action of deportation has occurred on the Egyptian sea. It is led by a notorious gang, known as the Mines. Fifty million refugees are reported to be travelling on board a ship, the Karaboudjan. It is unclear who is behind this operation, but the ship's Captain, Archibald Haddock is the prime suspect. Police are investigating further'.

'The Captain – and the Karaboudjan?' Maria said. 'Oh, no. I sense trouble. Lieutenant, my friends and I request to leave as soon as possible. It's a matter of life or death'.

'Maria!' Tintin opened the door to the office; he sighed with relief when he saw her. Maria ran into his arms. He embraced her with love and affection.

'Are you Lieutenant Delcourt?' Tintin asked the man.

He nods his head in reply.

'Thank you, Lieutenant. We owe you our lives. Did you find our friend?'

'Yes, but he is not in good shape. He's still suffering from dehydration. He's quite delirious. Shall we pay him a visit?'

'Please', Maria said. 'We must see him'.