Hot Desert

Carrying Maria in a bridal style once more, Tintin kept walking ahead with the Captain and Snowy following behind. The men and terrier were hot and tired; however, Tintin's worry for Maria increased. She hadn't been awake since the plane crash and it has been a while. 'Maria, please wake up', Tintin said softly.

There was no response.

So, they kept walking.

They were halfway when Tintin had lost his strength. At the exact moment, the Captain and Snowy came to his side as Tintin gently placed her onto the dunes. He wiped his forehead; the heat was getting to the young journalist. Snowy tucked himself underneath Maria's arm and laid down. He was waiting for her to wake up, but like his master, he was in doubt. The Captain watched as Tintin's hand gently stroked a lock of hair from Maria's face. As he tucked it behind her ear, he gazed into her closed lids; hoping for a sign of life. A tear fell down his face. He wanted to cry but he had to be strong. The Captain placed his own hand on Tintin's shoulder for comfort. Tintin smiled in return before the two men returned to look at her. They said nothing. Even Snowy wasn't making any noises. For a moment, everything was falling apart. What can they do? What will they do when Maria is gone? So many questions to answer.

'Tintin?'

He and the Captain smiled with joy. Maria was alive and a little tired; but in one piece.

'We thought you were a goner, lassie' , the Captain told her.

'I'm not dead yet', she replied. 'I still got my adventure with you two'.

Snowy jumped into her arms and licked all over face. Maria couldn't help but laugh. Suddenly, she gasped. Out of the corners of her eyes, there laid a skeleton. Larger than a human, with a giant rib cage.

'That – that - that's a camel', stuttered the Captain.

'That was a camel', corrected Tintin.

'It probably died of thirst. We're as good as dead'.

'Not if we keep moving'. Tintin rose to his feet and from his pocket, he took out three handkerchiefs. 'Keep spares for emergencies', he explained. 'Captain? Maria? I want you to wear them until we seek shelter. It's a long way till we find a town, so we're going to have to keep moving'. He assisted Maria, by tying her hair with a elastic band he accidentally put inside before placing a handkerchief around her head. Afterwards, the two of them gazed into each other's eyes.

They were lost. Time had stood still for them; their eyes were twinkling like stars in the night sky. Naturally, Maria pulled her head towards Tintin's. She could feel Tintin's palms touching her cheeks. They both closed eyes, almost leaning in toward their lips –

'What's the hold up? I thought we were moving!'

An impatient Captain was waiting for them. Blast, Tintin thought, I was so close.

The three of them walked together, alongside Snowy. It must have been around fifty miles when the Captain lost his strength and his mind. He leaned against Tintin's side as he dragged on, losing the ability to walk. 'The land of thirst – The land of thirst', he repeated.

Tintin had lost it, 'Oh, will you stop saying that!' he moaned.

'You don't understand. I've run out – You don't know what that means'. He fell to the ground; his face staring at the sand.

Maria who led the way with Snowy came to the Captain's aid. 'Captain, we have to keep moving'.

'Maria's right', Tintin agreed. 'One step at a time. Come on, on your feet'. Tintin pulled the Captain to his feet and allowed him to lean next to him again. 'Lean your weight on me'.

'A man can only handle so long without his vitals', the Captain cried.

'Captain, calm down. There are worse things than sobering up'.

'Look, Tintin. Do you see it? Water! Water!' The Captain ran on top of a dime, thinking he saw an oasis in front of him. Snowy ran behind him, before he grabbed the Captain's trousers and attempted to pull him back to Tintin and Maria. The Captain pulled his weight to the top of the dune. He suddenly rolled down to the other side when Snowy couldn't hold on.

'Captain, it's just a mirage', Tintin cried, rushing to his friend's side.

'It was here', he whispered. 'I saw it'. He stared in front; he was imaging an ocean, waving around in the desert.

'It was your mind playing tricks'.

'I have to go home'.

'What?'

'I have to go back to the sea. Look at that'.

'What?' Maria asked.

'Maria, did you ever see a more beautiful sight? She is turning into the wind. All sails set. Triple-mastered –'

' – Double decks and fifty guns? Is it the Unicorn?'

'Isn't she a beauty?'

'Yes', Tintin and Maria cried in unison. 'Yes she is'.

'Tell us the story, Captain', Maria asked.

'What do you see?' Tintin added.

'Before I do, I want you to join me', the Captain said. 'Close your eyes, lass and envision the Unicorn, sailing the ocean blue'.