Drunknard Sailor

As Maria stepped inside, the first person she came across wasn't Tintin but a tall, black beard and black eyes. He wore a dark blue jersey with a black jacket. Maria couldn't help but giggle; the man's head was stuck inside an old bird cage. His face was extremely pale and there was a terrible stench. Maria didn't know where it came from, but she couldn't stand it.

However as she stood up, the man wriggled out of the cage and picked up an object to defend himself: the object was a telescope. Maria was frightened; she could see the man was enraged – and he was going to hurt her. She had been hit before when Sakharine would punish her for nagging him. She wasn't used it but she knew when it was coming whither he used his hands or an object. In fear, Maria tried to crawl herself away from the man. When she couldn't go far, she then curled up in a corner and stared at the man who (in return) never took his eyes off her.

'So you thought you'd sneak in behind me and catch me with my trousers down, uh?!'

Maria was about to close her eyes when she noticed a plank of wood, clashing against the copper metal. It was Tintin, coming to her rescue.

'I'd rather you kept your trousers on, if it's all the same to you. There's a lady present'.

As they fought, Maria scrambled around the room; trying to find a safe place to be away from all the chaos. She tried everywhere but the men (who were busy concentrating on each other) didn't release that Maria was either behind them or underneath the cabin furniture. She screamed when they made loud noises and gasped when they came too close.

'I know your game', cried the drunkard; from all the fighting they've been doing, Tintin noticed that the man had been drinking alcohol. He feared for himself, but he also feared for Maria. 'You're one of those ---'

'Sorry?'

'They sent you here to kill me'.

'I don't know who you are!'

'That's how he has planned to bump me off. Murdered in my bed by a baby face assassin'.

Maria screamed when she saw Tintin jumping onto the table and froze when Snowy tugged the man's trouser leg to protect his master.

When the fight has stopped, Tintin explained to the man that he was mistaken. 'I was kidnapped by a gang of thugs'.

The man stood and stared at the young journalist. He showed no emotion. He turned to Maria who was shaking with fear. 'What about you, Lass?'

'Me? I've been kept below by a "guardian"'. Maria slowly rose to her feet, after falling onto the floor during the fight. She noticed the man in an awful state; at that point, he began to break down.

'Oh the filthy swine. He's turned the whole crew against me!'

'Who?' Tintin cried.

'Sour faced man with the sugary name. He's bought them all off. Every one'.

Then, Maria released who the man was referring too. 'Sakharine', she answered. It was all coming back to her. The transfers, the money and the secret he had planned to hide.