One Step Closer

Aurora (or Eos) the goddess of dawn was in good spirits. The light had covered it's beauty upon the Belgian docklands.

'From it's from the light that light will dawn', Maria whispered to herself.

'And then shine's forth, the eagle's cross', the boy added.

'You know the riddle, Herman?' she asked her cousin.

'The riddle has been past down for generations'.

Herman couldn't help himself. Being around Maria brought him great joy and excitement. But he had to be careful, for his father had instructed him to not be too clingy. In case Maria was overwhelmed by the trauma. Maria didn't mind, though. She loved being around her new family. Aside her new family, she never forgot her friends; they became important companions in her life. She had to learn how to take turns to make conversations with others. She found that it wasn't easy, especially with Snowy.

The poor terrier didn't want to feel left out, so he came to Maria for a cuddle. Herman didn't mind; he adored dogs.

'Have you got a tickle spot, Snowy?' he asked, as he scratched Snowy's ear. Snowy was delighted and he kept groaning and wagging his tail.

'Looks like you two have an attachment to him', the man said, walking toward the trio.

'Well, Uncle Phillip', Maria replied. 'Snowy's the loyalist canine'.

Behind Phillip were the two gentlemen who wore the black bowler hats and opposite moustaches. Maria's face lit up when she saw them.

'Thomson and Thompson! I thought it was you two'.

'Well', the detectives' replied, 'we're glad you are safe'.

'So, what's going to happen to Sakharine and his men?'

'Sakharine', Thomson said, 'is placed under arrest. We cuffed him when we pulled him from the water.

'He was wanted by the FBI and Interpol, which are special organisations. They have top secret agents and special police forces who arrest most wanted criminals'.

'What about MI6?' Herman asked.

'MI – What?' Thomson asked.

'You know? The British – '

The detectives' were still confused.

'M stands – no, the I – it's – it's – oh forget it!'

Maria hooted with laughter. She had never laughed so hard in her life but the detectives' weren't impressed.

'As we were saying', Thomson continued. 'Back to the point. Sakharine had schemed and plotted against those who stood in his way. But crime doesn't pay. When he had the key to the treasure, he would have gone on to collect all three scrolls. So he could destroy the evidence'.

'And humiliate both the Haddock and Watson families'; all three where impressed by Maria's end sentence.

'Have you considered being a detective, Maria?' Thomson asked.

'To precise', added Thompson, 'a detective have you considered?'

'Both of their sentences don't make sense', Herman joked, but he was overjoyed that they suggested that Maria should become a detective.

'No', Maria said. 'Not yet anyway'.

'But she will one day', Herman added. 'We can just hear the headlines now: