Duels and Truths

A few nights later, the Karaboudjan made her way into port. They docked outside of Brussels' harbour with a smooth glide.

At the sound of the whistle, both Sakharine and Maria stood on the gangway. Maria – now in her brown rags – was linking arms with her nemesis. However, that was not the only change she had to make. Sakharine also instructed her to leave all her belongings behind including her picture book. Instead, he forced her to wear the locket around her neck. Although Maria loved it dearly, wearing it in front of Sakharine was like having a choker, chocking on her throat.

Behind them were Alan and another crew member, Tom.

'What are we doing here boss? I don't get it!' Tom cried. 'We're right back where we started'.

Unknown to Maria, Sakharine told them about the scrolls and the location – he believed – to where the treasure is. Both Tom and Alan thought the codes at the bottom of each piece of paper were latitudes and longitudes. Neither of them couldn't have imagined that they would take them back to the capital city.

'Speak of this to no one', Sakharine barked as he guided Maria off the gang plank. 'Keep your mouths shut, especially the whereabouts of the girl'.

'As long as we get our share!' Alan demanded.

'Oh, you'll get your share!' Sakharine snapped.

'Where are you going?'

'Guard the ship! Hurry up, I haven't got all day', he then told Maria.

She did as she was told.

In front of them was a white Rolls Royce motorcar. Opening the driver's seat was a mid-aged gentleman, all dressed in black with a matching hat. 'Good evening, sir', he said. 'I trust you had a successful trip aboard. Will this lady be accompanying you?'

She looked at him worryingly. Maria didn't want to meet anyone anymore. All she wanted to do was to stay on the ship, but this wasn't possible. Not anymore.

With a giant shove, Sakharine pushed Maria into the car. It hurt, but she didn't react.

'Do I pay you to talk me?' Sakharine shouted before climbing into the car.

Once he was in the drivers' seat (and with Maria sitting in the passengers' seat – behind), Sakharine closed the door before a rumbling noise shook the car. Suddenly, both Sakharine and Maria were lifted into the air. Maria screamed; she still hadn't conquered her fear of heights.

Sakharine on the other hand reacted to the situation by releasing his anger. He cried for the butler's name but it was no use. Suddenly, both he and Maria saw the two sailors rushing toward the scene – too late. 'Tom! Alan!' Sakharine cried. 'You blithering idiots! Don't just stand there – do something!!!!'

But the car dragged further and further away from the ship. It was then that Maria noticed why the car was floating in the air. It was attached to chains that were attached to a hard wooden plank that was underneath the car. When she saw them, Maria stopped screaming. She released what was happening. Someone was trying to catch him. Justice would finally be done. Finally, she would free from any danger.

Suddenly, a hand had grabbed Maria's waist and she could feel something sharp behind her back. It was a gun and the person who held it was planning to assonate her, in case anybody will try to track them down. 'Get down and keep quiet', Sakharine whispered. He then placed himself down on the seat before dragging her on top on him.

When the car landed safely on the ground in the docklands, Maria closed her eyes nervously as Sakharine squeezed her wrist. She quietly prayed for a miracle; a distraction to help her escape. As they were on the ground, Maria could see three heads. Two of them were black bowler hats attached to visible black hair while the third had ginger hair with a sharp spike at the front. Maria couldn't believe it.