one.

Eight Years Later

Laura's POV

"I already told you - no!"

Ross and I exchanged a worried glance. We were both slumped up against Isabella's wooden doorframe intently listening in on her conversation with the mysterious person on the other end of the line.

"Who do you think she's talking to?" I quietly asked Ross. His ear was pressed right up against Isabella's bedroom door and he held his finger to his lips to silence me so that he could have a better understanding of what she was saying to the person on the phone.

"Um no! You stole the answers from me!" She giggled this time.

"Your mask, Ross! It's slipped off!" I hissed before hitting him on the shoulder. We were both dressed from head to toe in black attire and even went as far as to wear black ski masks over our heads to match our well thought out costumes. It was like Halloween... only it wasn't. We were spying on our eleven year old daughter instead.

"Who's idea was it to wear these ski masks anyway? We've never even been skiing! It doesn't fit around my head!" Ross hissed back. He rolled his eyes and adjusted his mask before going back to shoving his ear against the door.

I nudged him with my elbow and he winced slightly before doing it back to me. "It was your idea dummy! You found them in the basement... I still think somebody wore them for some dodgy business -"

Ross silenced me by pressing his index finger to my lips and beckoned me to place my ear against the door. "She's talking to a boy. I can feel it."

I scowled at him and tried my hardest to make out what she was saying.

"Me? You think I'm cute? That's crazy!" Isabella replied with an innocent snigger.

I rolled my eyes and frowned at him. "Maybe it's a girl?"

"Well she's not exactly in an all girls school, Laur!" He hissed back to me.

As we continued to quietly bicker amongst ourselves neither of us realised when Isabella's bedroom door slowly opened and our perky brown eyed daughter stood in front of us with her arms folded across her chest in complete disapproval. "What are you doing?"

"Um... nothing!" I exclaimed with an awkward chuckle as I leapt up from the wooden floorboards, pulling Ross up with me. "We were just..." I quickly scanned the hallway to find an item to lie about. "looking for vases! Yeah... Nona's vases in fact."

"We found out that they're antiques." Ross added with a quick wink in my direction.

I exhaled in defeat. We'd been together for eleven years and yet somehow he still couldn't back me up when I was in dire need of his help.

Isabella rolled her eyes and pointed to one of the ugly unkept vases in the corner. "That's an antique?" Ross and I both nodded eagerly at her. "Okay... one, Nona doesn't even collect or keep vases! She says that they waste precious space on her shelves and that they smell! And two, if that's an antique then I'm Kylie Jenner which makes me a self made billionaire. Pay up!"

"What do you know about Kylie Jenner?" Ross asked with his arms crossed over his chest.

Isabella copied his mannerisms and her lips formed a smirk. "What do you know about her dad?"

Ross and I both shared a look of defeat as we simultaneously pulled our ski masks off from our heads. "Okay... okay, you caught us red handed." I teased. "You want the truth?" Isabella nodded at me with a stern look on her face. "Your father and I... we were -"