Chapter 10: Lauren {Edited}

Lauren

I have the worst migraine ever and this day keeps going slower and slower. I had to cancel my lunch with Traci because I had a very important staff meeting that went over time. I have a feeling that she wasn't too happy but I hope she understood.

I unlocked one of my desk drawers and opened it to find my painkillers but I couldn't find them. I took everything out but nothing. They would normally be in here. I also notice that I was missing something else. “Oh God!” I stood up and searched the bottom drawer.

I ran to the intercom and press the button. “Evelyn get in here!” I said practically screaming.

Within seconds, she burst in my office and closed the door behind her. “What's wrong?” she asked with wide eyes.

“Who has been in my office?” I asked still looking through the drawers of my file cabinet.

“No one, just you and I. Why, what is missing.”

“Have you been in this drawer?” I said pointing to it.

“No, that one is locked. Only you have a key to it. But the other drawers yes,” she said.

I continued to look through my drawer, searching through the papers and other items. “Did you misplace something?”

I looked up at her. “I did,” I sighed and cursed under my breath. “My discharged papers.”

She looked around the room and then glanced at me. “Lauren. The discharged papers?”

I shot her a 'duh what other papers do you think I’m talking about' look and turned back to go to my file cabinets. I know they couldn't be in there but it would not hurt to look. “Shit!”

“I thought I told you to take them home and put them some place safe.”

“Hey, is everything ok?” Kalvin said while opening the door.

I closed the file cabinet as quickly as possible and glanced over at the door. “Um, yea, everything is fine. I just misplaced a case file and Evelyn was helping me look for it.”

“Ok, do you need my help?” He asked.

“No, I think between two sets of hands and eyes we’ll find it in no time,” I said joking.

Kalvin looked back and forth between Evelyn and I. “Alright, but I came to tell you that I just got off the phone with Traci and she wants to talk to you,” he pointed to the phone on my desk, “Line two.”

He was on his way out when I stopped him. “Hey Kalvin,” he turned around, “Did you um, happened to come in my office without my knowledge at anytime?”

“No I didn’t, why?”

Evelyn cleared her throat and said. “Uh Kalvin, I need help with something at my desk can you help me.”

He looked at her and I silently thanked her with my eyes. “Sure,” he turned to me, “I’m leaving early in about thirty minutes.”

I simply nodded my head. They both left my office side by side leaving me to wonder where those papers must have gone.

I hustled towards the phone and with a smile answered it. “Hello Mrs. Moore. What can I do for you?” I said jokingly.

“Wow! First, you cancel our lunch date. Then my husband puts me on hold, which by the way I never thought he would do, and now you are calling me Mrs. Moore. Should I be calling you Ms. Reed?” She asked, “Or is it still Mrs. Evans?”