Chapter 4: Jasmine {Edited}

Picture of Jasmine.... Kesha Knight Pilliam--->

Walking into my mother’s kitchen, I saw that her and my dad was sitting down eating breakfast. “Oh my Lord!” My mom said with joy.

“I've been so worried about you! I didn’t know when you were coming back.” I walked over to my mother, Barbra Moore and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

Nodding to my father. “Malcolm.”  He didn't look up from his plate so I just turned and walked towards the fridge.

“Jasmine. Nice of you to grace us with you presence after what? Two, three months.”  

I turned around and stared at him, “Yes. Do you want me to apologize or kiss your ass-”

He slammed his palm on the kitchen table making all the plates rattle and stood up. “You are still my child! Don’t you dare talk to me like-”

“Enough you two,” my mother interjected in her soft voice, “Not today, I don’t feel like dealing with you two bickering.”

He sat back down and I just sighed. “Whatever, I just wanted to come home and say hi mommy.” I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and walked back to the table sitting next to my mother, across from my father.

“How long are you staying?” My dad asked. I just looked at my mom with a smile on my face ignoring what he said.

“Malcolm-” my mother said sounding exhausted.

“You know what,” he got up from the chair and left the kitchen.

“I know what Malcolm?” I asked taunting him.

My mother slapped my hand making me turn around giving her the confused look. “What?”

“You know what! Jasmine Monae Moore don’t you talk to your father like some guy you just meet out in the street.”

I rolled my eyes and she gave me another pop on the hands causing me to flinch, “Oww!” I said rubbing my hand.

“Do you understand?” she asked.

“Yes ma’am.” I took a sip of water and put it on the table.

“And don’t call him Malcolm, he is still and forever will be your father.” She stared at me for a couple of seconds that felt like minutes.

“Okay!” I said with an attitude.

“Have you talked to your sister?” she asked.

“No I haven’t seen her in months. I gonna go up to her shop in a few, why?” I asked.

“You know Joyce died a couple of nights ago?”

I paused and looked at her. I knew she was telling the truth. I took a deep breath and looked down at the table. “You, Traci and Joyce use to be so close.”

I was still close to her. What the hell I saw her like two days ago.  I thought to myself and gasp aloud. My mother scooted closer to me and started rubbing my back, “I know sweetheart it’s going to be ok-” My cousin, my best friend, was gone. I tuned my mother out to reminisce about that one night that changed Joyce, my sister, but mostly my life.

October 19, 2004

“I saw him first!” Joyce said to me while we were sitting at the bar facing the dance floor. We were looking at a tall, light-skin guy that was talking with one of his friend. He was beyond beautiful. He reminded me of Bow Wow just a lighter version of him with less tattoos. Being sixteen, we were not supposed to be at Greystone Manor Nightclub but my “boyfriend” got my cousin and I the hook-up so we could not miss this. Only the hottest celebrities would be here tonight. I mean Madonna, Beyonce, and Jamie Foxx to name a few.