Chapter Nine.

Chapter Nine.

After school I walk to my car and see Lia waiting for me. Oh yeah, we're going shopping... Yay... I wish I could enjoy girly things like this. Maybe my mom just didn't do as much with me as my dad did. That's probably it.

"So, are we still on for shopping?" Lia asks me as I get closer.

I know it's bad to lie to your best friend, but I really don't want to go shopping. What was I thinking earlier? I don't need to be more girly. I don't want to be more girly. Obviously Evan likes me the way I am. Well, not that he knows me very well, but I'm sure he likes what he does know. "Um, actually, Evan wants to—"

"Say no more," she tells me with a cheerful smile.

She didn't even let me finish. I fake a smile, "okay, maybe we can hang out sometime tomorrow," I say.

"Yeah, we should make it an all night-er thing."

"I would say yes, but Saturday morning I have a detention and Saturday night I'm going to a concert," I explain.

Lia nods. "A concert?"

"Yeah, Van got tickets to an Avenged Sevenfold concert," I tell her.

"What's with you two, he's always—"

"Hey, Abbs, can I get a ride, Kendall's still pissed at me and she has some stupid cheerleading thing," Van says from behind me, his voice getting closer to Lia and me.

"Always getting in the way..." she finishes. "Call me when you aren't busy with whatever it is you do because we haven't hung out or even talked in so long. Liz and Jessica may be sluts, but at least I can count on them to be there when something's wrong," Lia says, getting mad, then she stomps away. What the hell was that? Lia never gets mad at me. I shouldn't have canceled. She's right, I am always flaking on her. I'm such a sucky friend to her.

"What's her deal?" Van asks me.

I open my car door and answer, "me."

"What'd you do this time?" he chuckles.

I shrug. "I've been blowing her off a lot lately."

"For college guys?" he smirks, but something in the tone of his voice sounds pissed.

I turn around and look at him. "Are you mad at me now?" I ask confused.

He hesitates, "no I was just teasing you."

"Oh," I smile faintly, looking straight into his eyes. I can tell that he's keeping something from me. Is that weird? It's just I can see that there's something he's not telling me. Something important, otherwise he wouldn't be giving me that look of concern, like he doesn't know if he should tell me or not, like it would hurt me. "Is there something you want to tell me?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "what? No. Why? Is there something you want to tell me?"

I shake my head. "I'm just saying, if there's something I should know, you'd tell me, right?"

Van opens his mouth then closes it again and swallows. "Of course, I wouldn't keep anything from you, you already know pretty much everything," he finally says.

I nod. "Okay. So you wanted a ride?" I ask

"Yeah," he says.

Something's not right, I tell myself as I get in my car and Van gets in the passengers seat. I can just feel that something isn't right. There's something he's not telling me and I don't know why, but it's kind of pissing me off.