Chapter Nineteen: Silence Is Our Always

Chapter Nineteen

Silence Is Our Always

Time Skip: Three Months Later

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

             It had been three months since I last saw Nanase, though we continued to keep in touch via e-mails, texts, et cetera. We were a little more distant, considering that he was now in the Tokyo Prefecture, and I remained in the Kyoto Prefecture. I left my team and began to swim solo, under the guidance of my older brother, Masaru. Still the pervert as always, he kept me constant company and trained the death out of me even though he was still at work.

            I began pre-med, as it was an online course and I really wanted to study abroad as a doctor, and Nanase wanted to become a swimming coach after he retired. We both wanted different paths, but we respected each other’s choices—no matter what.

            As I was currently studying in my room, I heard a knock on my door. It was near midnight. Who on earth wanted to talk to me?

            I dashed down the stairs, and looked immediately through the peephole. It was a little blurred since it was raining heavily outside, but I could still make out who was there. Hold the phone. Was that Nanase?

            I opened the door slowly, as to absorb who the figure was.

            “Nanase?” I asked softly.

            He gave me a small smile before replying bluntly, “Do you want me to get wet?”

            Still in slight shock as of why he was there, I simply nodded, gesturing with my hands to enter, and he did so quickly before I closed the door behind him.

            As he was getting his shoes off, I attempted to help him get his damp coat off so that he could dry quicker, but, instead, we brushed against each other’s hands, and we looked straight into each others’ eyes for an awkward few moments.

            After those moments, there was a surge of motion as I swiftly took off his coat, and he took off his boots, revealing his soaked socks beneath.

            I rapidly rushed up the stairs and into Masaru’s room, as he was on night shift at work for the day, and took a pair of white socks out of his drawer and returned to Nanase with them, as he was placing his shoes in a neat and orderly fashion.

            After he was done with that, he looked at me, and I guided him to the kitchen, where I gestured him to sit down. I poured hot water into two separate cups and placed a jasmine green tea bag in each of them, letting them sit.

            I then heard Nanase’s stomach growl from lack of nutrition and gave him a glance, in which his face turned a slight hue of pink. I then looked into the pantry and pulled out a mini platter of green tea cookies and placed them on the table between where he was sitting and where I was to sit. After doing so, I grabbed the two cups of hot tea carefully, and placed one before him. Lastly, I took the cup full of sugar cubes and offered him a few, in which he gladly took three, and I took four.