Chapter Eighteen: Opaque

Chapter Eighteen

Opaque

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

            As much as I tried to prevent them, tears streamed down my cheeks as I bolted through the crowds. Here and there, I stumbled as I heard Nanase shout out my name, in an effort to slow me down. I wasn’t going to . . . not this time around . . .

            It wasn’t long before I found the exit. Pushing the doors open, I fled the scene, running to anywhere that would seem peaceful for me to ponder if the relationship with an oh-so-popular guy was even worth my time . . . Or maybe even daydream . . . or just sit there . . . and watch the scenery around me . . .

            As I sprinted across London in the midst of the night, moon shining fully in the night sky, stars glistening like diamonds, and air smooth and crisp, I found a small, gently flowing river with a small stone bridge to cross it. A birch tree was on the other side of the bridge, offering shade and soft grass as a cushion. Walking slowly across the bridge, I observed the river and its contents: smooth stones were at the bottom of the shallow river and a few fish could be seen swimming by.

            The fish . . . they looked so peaceful . . . on a midnight swim to the ocean or wherever they wanted to go . . . No worries . . . Just themselves to spend the blissful night . . .

            I leaned against the side of the bridge, looking softly at the tranquil river . . . It felt so relaxing . . . I never wanted to leave . . .

            A breeze swayed by, lifting a few leaves here and there, and rustling the soft grass along with it . . . So soothing . . . so quiet . . . It was a euphoric haven . . .

            The moonlight reached all ends of the land, shining forth its radiant beauty serenely . . . and peacefully . . .

            However, all peace comes to an end, and these moments were one of them . . .

            “Kasumi!” I heard Nanase yell.

            He was dashing across the verdant meadow, appearing restless yet tired.

            My natural instinct was the run away, so I did just so.

            I zoomed through the fields, in escape of Nanase . . . I didn’t need any more drama . . . at least for tonight.

            But, of course, with Nanase being Haruka, his determination vibes kicked in, and he caught up to me, pulling me tightly into an embrace from behind.

            He panted words between breaths, “You . . . a-are . . . so . . . i-in-insolent . . . to run . . . away like . . . that . . . Making me sprint . . . af-ter . . . you . . . too . . .”