Chapter Fifteen: Five-Hundred Meters to Heaven or Hell

Chapter Fifteen

Five-Hundred Meters to Heaven or Hell

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

            “Beep!” the horn signaling the winner of the 500 meters rang through the air.

            “Julia Smith lands first place!” the announcer yelled through the speaker. “Kasumi Mizushima places second! And, last but not least, Marianne Adams ranks third! Everyone these are our finalists of the women’s 500!”

            “Ha! I knew I’d beat you again,” Julia spat at my face after we had stepped off the podiums, and the television crew stopped filming.

            I ignored her, but looked at the stands for Nanase. He, in turn, looked back at me, his face full with disappointment.

            I immediately glanced the other way to see Julia’s club of friends and family congratulate her for beating me . . . again. One of them even shouted that Nanase would finally be hers.

            Then, I watched as Nanase came down the stairs, and kissed Julia on the cheek before wrapping his arms around her in a warm, loving hug. And, before long, they were kissing passionately lip to lip.

            Zap.

            My automatic response to the whole situation was panic and fear for a pure five seconds.

            “Just a dream, just a dream, just a dream . . .” I sighed to myself, as my eyes started to gather the images around me.

            I got up, ignoring the dream, went to the bathroom to do hygiene, and changed into my swimsuit and covered myself with a sweater and sweatpants. What can I say? It may be summer, but it’s pretty cold in London.

            I raced outside, and a wave of heat came to me. People were staring at how or why I was wearing such attire in . . . ninety-degree weather?

            Okay, my weather predictions are wrong. Don’t listen to me next time. Sorry.

            Rushing back inside to changed into shorts and a T-shirt this time around, somebody wrapped their arms around my waist, hugging me from behind.

            “Oh, hey, good morning, Nanase,” I chuckled, placing my hands on his.

            “How was your sleep?” he asked, kissing my cheek.

            “Good, and yours?” I laughed yet again since he was tickling me, and I ignored my weird dream.