16. Story-Teller Archetype

Story-Teller Archetype Essence: Move people to action through stories

The Story-Teller archetype is all about the case studies and success stories of your clients or customers. It showcases your expertise.

The Story-Teller archetype is ideal for you if:

· You've been in business for a few years and have a proven track record.

· Your customers have documented their journey through worksheets they fill out each week.

· You have a few customers who rave about you or your business.

· Your customers have already provided you with testimonials, success stories, or case studies to use on your website.

· You're writing your book specifically to grow your business or establish yourself as an expert in your field.

You can use these studies or stories in a few ways. The first is to use the stories of 10-15 clients and weave them into a book on how to achieve success in your chosen area. Each study or story is a chapter that highlights a key point.

The second option with this archetype is to use one story or study for each step of your process. For example, if you have a 5-step system, you would use five stories that highlight the struggle or challenge faced by your customer during that step, and how they overcame it.

The story arc outline would be helpful to show the transition between point A and point B. Point A is where your customer was when they started, and where your readers currently are. Point B is the result your customer achieved, something your reader is also seeking.

The third option is to focus on the case study or success story of one client, showing the challenges, obstacles, and breakthroughs that occurred along the way. Smartypants Branding by Danielle M Miller is an excellent example of this.

The final option for the Story-Teller archetype is to use your own story. The first half of your book could document your journey. The second half could be actionable information your reader can apply in their life right now, which could be the system or step-by-step process you discovered.

Alternatively, the whole book could be about your story, interspersed with the tips, strategies, and techniques you found effective. Tim Grahl's book Running Down a Dream is an example of this approach.

Weaving your personal story into your book is a way to make it come alive for the reader. Personalising it also makes it different from other books in your niche.

You know you're on the right track when you feel nervous about publishing what you've written. That fear means you're more likely to connect with your reader.

Remember, the best stories all follow the same fundamental principle; the hero faces a challenge which they successfully overcome after trials and tribulations which transform them in the process.

PERMISSION

If you want to use your customer's case study or success story, you'll need to get written permission from them before you do this. There are some helpful articles in the tools and resource section at the end of the chapter on how to get permission.

You may also need to get your customer to sign a release form before you can use their story. Check with a legal professional before you publish your book to avoid any issues.

One way to get permission is to show your customer the chapter their story features in to get their approval before it's published or edited. Involve them in the process, and you're more likely to get a yes.